Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background: 2014 HO 850XP, purchase date 3-29-14, no seat time as of yet due to work and overtime

I was in the process of installing a rear bumper (4-4-14) and removed the rear rack and to my surprise, I found this defect. I'm pretty disappointed to see this on a new bike.

What would you do if this was your bike? I really don't want to be an A$$ and take it back but from the rust stains on the plastic, it's been this way for a while...

thx

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'd definitely bring it back. They need to honor that issue.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'd be livid and would not have a problem being an ass if they started trying to say "Oh well you've had it for awhile, you must of done it" Start nicely but ramp it up if you need to, that is just UNSAT on a brand new bike. I don't know if the rear racks are put on at the factory or at the dealer as part of a PMI sort of thing, but I would say someone F'ed up somewhere and instead of fixing it just mangled it even more.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
What is ghe piece pictured?

If it was under the rack, and didn't affect anything, i probably wouldn't waste my time.

And why did you remove the rack to install your bumper? Lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What is ghe piece pictured?

If it was under the rack, and didn't affect anything, i probably wouldn't waste my time.

And why did you remove the rack to install your bumper? Lol

I misread the instructions that's why the entire rack was unbolted. It also gave me an opportunity to clean the dust build up from underneath the rack.
Not too funny to find crap like this on something which costs so much. It makes me wonder what else is messed up under the plastics

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mileage and hours should be enough to prove there was no seat time on the bike. I would bring it in and they should be cool with it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Looks like you have the dreaded machine assembled on either a Monday or Friday.
Unfortunately, who knows how many are like this, unless you're pulling racks/plastic to inspect. Especially now that they're assembled in mexican't factories, this is to be expected, there's a reason wages are 85 cents an hour.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Unfortunately, who knows how many are like this, unless you're pulling racks/plastic to inspect. Especially now that they're assembled in mexican't factories, this is to be expected, there's a reason wages are 85 cents an hour.
Really!?!?! They've been building them there since late '11, and we now have 1 thread where they re-drilled the hole and no one has yet confirmed whether the factory installs that or the dealer since it comes in a crate with some assembly required.

...meanwhile my AMERICAN made 850 along with others from '11 and earlier have the dreaded frame break at the rear tranny mount. Must be ok for Americans to not know how to weld shit, but OMG if a potential screw up happened at the Mexican plant during assembly. Get off your high horse dude, American products are just as shitty now a days as the rest because the work force no longer puts their heart and pride into what they are making for this country.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Really!?!?! They've been building them there since late '11, and we now have 1 thread where they re-drilled the hole and no one has yet confirmed whether the factory installs that or the dealer since it comes in a crate with some assembly required.

...meanwhile my AMERICAN made 850 along with others from '11 and earlier have the dreaded frame break at the rear tranny mount. Must be ok for Americans to not know how to weld shit, but OMG if a potential screw up happened at the Mexican plant during assembly. Get off your high horse dude, American products are just as shitty now a days as the rest because the work force no longer puts their heart and pride into what they are making for this country.
Ok don't lose your mind over one sentence of post. If you'll notice the first line of post you'd see a reference to being built on either Monday or Friday which has long been attributed to manufacturing in the USA. And I wholly agree with you the workforce in America today is severely lacking in pride of workmanship, the 20-30 something year olds today are too engrossed in tattoos and video games to worry about doing their job. Now don't lose your mind over that statement either, I'm painting with broad strokes here. But in general, you're going to get a better quality product made in the USA than mexico

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would take it back and see what the dealer says. My dealer here is very very good.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Take it back!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,980 Posts

Ragdude...I would whole heartedly prefer a Polaris assembled in Mexico. Their workers want those jobs and know if they screw something up their job is gone to one of the other hundreds or thousands waiting for their job. They are hard working people who take a lot of pride in what they do. Our workforce of 18-40 yr olds have little to no motivation, and much of the time cant pass a drug test to even get hired, at least that's the way it was where I used to work before retiring

·
Registered
54 Posts
Definitely take it back if nothing else to just make Polaris aware of the error. Not saying to demand a new bike, just show them and have them issue a manufacturing defect. (or dealer install defect) They can look into from there. Many times the manufacturer is unaware of a problem until we the consumer show them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Background: 2014 HO 850XP, purchase date 3-29-14, no seat time as of yet due to work and overtime

I was in the process of installing a rear bumper (4-4-14) and removed the rear rack and to my surprise, I found this defect. I'm pretty disappointed to see this on a new bike.

What would you do if this was your bike? I really don't want to be an A$$ and take it back but from the rust stains on the plastic, it's been this way for a while...

thx

IMHO...depends if the dealer is close by. If you have to travel a great distance...then I'd do the repair myself. Looks like surface rust...and that is not a big deal.

:hmmm:I don't think they can fix it...as it looks like a welded mount on the frame. OBTW: The rear rack comes assembled from factory.

Maybe try and work in a few oil changes or accessories??!!??

Good luck!

biz
:)

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Thinking about this..... it looks like a minor assembly error, that was working just fine until you pulled it apart and saw it. With that in mind..... you'd never have even known it existed if you didn't take the rack off. Like stated.... it's a welded on tab on the frame, they likely won't do anything about it. But if it make you sleep better at night, bring it to the dealer and show them...... or..... weld in the hole and redrill and paint it. Put it back together and forget about it!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

Ragdude...I would whole heartedly prefer a Polaris assembled in Mexico. Their workers want those jobs and know if they screw something up their job is gone to one of the other hundreds or thousands waiting for their job. They are hard working people who take a lot of pride in what they do. Our workforce of 18-40 yr olds have little to no motivation, and much of the time cant pass a drug test to even get hired, at least that's the way it was where I used to work before retiring
10/4 on that, I agree.

The dealerships dont have the equipment to fix that sort of thing anyway. Or the knowledge. They will put a new rack support on it because they are parts changers and not mechanics. But not before they question you why you took the rack off in the first place. Then will probably bitch a little more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I do hate to see that on a new bike but really and truly it's nothing uncommon as I use to work at a Chrysler dealership and most of the new rams come in with rust on the new frames, I figure it as they come from up north and the winter times they have salt on the roads and being chained down on the rigs and trains that haul them to there destination causes rust spots, but I am with you on that it should not have any one it when I buy a brand new bike or truck

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

1 - 20 of 21 Posts