Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
171 Posts
Yes I agree, and i was also thinking of a way to mount vertically on the back.-great minds. Lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am with you on creating a vertical mount on the back of my 2019 850SP. I am looking heavily at the bumper mount tubes as the main load bearing location on our two machines. While we are getting around 21-23 MPG overall on smooth, rough, and some low range trails, i would love to add 2 gallons. I would love to see what you may come up with. Please include pictures.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Mainly bigger frame, I'm 6'7" and the 570 is a touch too small of a frame, my feet take up the whole footwell. Also, when my wife rides on the back around the property and our young sons riding with me around the property.

Again this is just tooling around in our woods and we all have helmets. In a nutshell, bigger frame, power isn't the issue, the 570 rips for a single cylinder. I don't want a side by side as i use the ATV to spray weeds in my woods and take deer hunting on narrow tight trails.

I thought about the touring 850 for the added length but they are a little to pricey for me... and it seems from my searches that Polaris hasn't updated the the body on the touring model vs the standard sportsman, which is a bummer, new body is tough.

Thanks
Navistar82 just so you know dimensions between an 850 and 570 are almost identical. 850 is 1/4” longer and about 3/8” narrower. I also believe the foot wells are virtually the same length. I’d go to a dealership just to A/B between the two. I’ve considered moving up to, but the 570, for me, really does everything with power to spare.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am with you on creating a vertical mount on the back of my 2019 850SP. I am looking heavily at the bumper mount tubes as the main load bearing location on our two machines. While we are getting around 21-23 MPG overall on smooth, rough, and some low range trails, i would love to add 2 gallons. I would love to see what you may come up with. Please include pictures.
What? I’m getting 10-11 MPG. I haven’t purchased anything yet. All I have is ideas in my head, but seem to be same as yours as that bumper tube is in a perfect location.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What? I’m getting 10-11 MPG. I haven’t purchased anything yet. All I have is ideas in my head, but seem to be same as yours as that bumper tube is in a perfect location.
On trails, with little or no low range, [Utah, running at 6,500 to 10,000 ft], we are getting 120 mile range safely on our tank with some breathing room to spare. I don't trust the gas gauge. Depending how bumpy the roads are the gauge can still show 3/4 tank with 110 miles (yeah right). We did that a couple of weeks ago. Don't like to sweat that much, so I would like the 2 gallon reserve. We have some 130-140 mile runs between gas stops that we would like to make. (correction these are 2018 Sportsman 850 SP models, not 2019)

·
Registered
171 Posts
On trails, with little or no low range, [Utah, running at 6,500 to 10,000 ft], we are getting 120 mile range safely on our tank with some breathing room to spare. I don't trust the gas gauge. Depending how bumpy the roads are the gauge can still show 3/4 tank with 110 miles (yeah right). We did that a couple of weeks ago. Don't like to sweat that much, so I would like the 2 gallon reserve. We have some 130-140 mile runs between gas stops that we would like to make. (correction these are 2018 Sportsman 850 SP models, not 2019)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Im at a loss, I’ve done 3 mileage checks, last one I filled to the neck, drove around my land, visited neighbors, no low range, churned up a bit of earth on my land. Low fuel came on at 48 miles. It appeared to take a little over 4 gal to fill it, so I had a gallon spare. Comes out to 10-11 MPG

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is not good!!!! You should be getting much better than that. A 48 mile tank range is unacceptable. I would check with my dealer on that. I would not accept anything less than 15 MPG.
My avg MPG on my various quads (little or no low range):
2005 500 HO (carb) 12 - 16 -greatly changes based on altitude running at. Jetted for 7,000.
2005 800 EFI 18 - 20
2018 850 SP 21 - 23
How i check MPG: Start with full tank, zero out trip meter. Zero out handheld GPS trip meter.
By the way the Odo does seem to register about 2% higher than the GPS for the trips. (I assume that is due to combination of occasional GPS signal loss and spinning of wheels. I think I do more spinning of wheels.)
Fill tank at gas station and record the gallons used. Divide the GPS miles (unless the variance is greater than 2%, then use odo miles) by the number of gallons.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Im at a loss, I’ve done 3 mileage checks, last one I filled to the neck, drove around my land, visited neighbors, no low range, churned up a bit of earth on my land. Low fuel came on at 48 miles. It appeared to take a little over 4 gal to fill it, so I had a gallon spare. Comes out to 10-11 MPG

Yeah, I get almost a hundred miles to a tank with the mud bike..... 33" tires......

·
Registered
171 Posts
Clutch kit? I’m still trying to wrap my head around the best mileage I ever got with stock tires was around 75 miles to a tank. I wonder if a clutch kit would help. I believe there some wasted RPM’s with the stock clutch.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts