Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me say hi to all. As you can tell I'm new to this site and a first time Polaris owner. Here is the question. I just purchased 2013 550 efi. I see a lot of articles saying the 550 is an XP. Is this correct or is it just for earlier models 550? If it isn't an XP, what's the difference?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
First off, let me say hi to all. As you can tell I'm new to this site and a first time Polaris owner. Here is the question. I just purchased 2013 550 efi. I see a lot of articles saying the 550 is an XP. Is this correct or is it just for earlier models 550? If it isn't an XP, what's the difference?
It's an XP

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Treacherous. But isn't the XP models dual overhead cam and the 550 (2013 model) Single overhead cam? Forgive my ignerounce, but I'm reading conflicting stories. So if you or anyone else can explain I would be most great full.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
You are correct that the 850 is DOHC and the 550 is SOHC but they are still built on the same frame and are considered an XP.

Aside from more HP an extra brake on the left rear tire (IIRC) and decals the 850 is essentially the same bike.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Im pretty sure they dont call the 550s xp's anymore, but its still the same as previous years though. Prob due to the 570 which has more power. Wont be due to cams either, 850s only have one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Appreciate the quick response. Clears up a lot.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Im pretty sure they dont call the 550s xp's anymore, but its still the same as previous years though. Prob due to the 570 which has more power. Wont be due to cams either, 850s only have one.
You are right. I guess they don't officially call it one anymore but it's just simple name game at this point.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Not sure what I was thinking that the 850 was DOHC....:smashfreakB:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
^^ or that the 850's have both rear brakes.

Only machines with turf mode (x2's) have 4 wheel brakes. Im not sure if the tourings do or not.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
^^ or that the 850's have both rear brakes.

Only machines with turf mode (x2's) have 4 wheel brakes. Im not sure if the tourings do or not.
Did this change in later model years or am I seeing examples with aftermarket? I see lots of examples of a brake line running to each caliper on the rear.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I think the 2009 models had four wheel disc brakes. Really no need for four if you can't unlock the rear differential, and at $30 for a set of brake pads, I'm good with three.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The Polaris 2013 550 ATV is an XP. The XP is the Polaris Xtreme Performance line . The engine is turned sideways and has a different frame than the value line. The seat is narrow like a sport quad as the CVT cover is in the back rather than on the side of the motor. The ride on the XP is like a Cadillac but the value line is very well proven. My 09 850 XP has been a great machine and I never get wore out riding it as it's butter smooth and easy on the body. I had a Honda Rancher before and it beat the sh!t of me but it was very reliable. It rolled thirty (30) times down a mountain and I still drove it for 6 more hours but in the end the frame was bent.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks kemblkr. This forum is a wealth of information. Love the knowledge base here.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks kemblkr. This forum is a wealth of information. Love the knowledge base here.
No problem. People on this forum have a wealth of knowledge or we think we do. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts