Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2012 sportsman 850 it had has 26 hours on it.

What are the major services after breaking it in, it's only had an oil change. I don't have a manual thanks

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I believe at the 20-25 hour mark engine oil & filter, along with the inspection of overall machine is called for.... fluid levels of all systems, drive line, suspension, ect.

I did my own first service and changed all the drive line lubricants with the exception of the coolant and brake fluids. I figured it was cheap insurance and should show any major issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I believe at the 20-25 hour mark engine oil & filter, along with the inspection of overall machine is called for.... fluid levels of all systems, drive line, suspension, ect.

I did my own first service and changed all the drive line lubricants with the exception of the coolant and brake fluids. I figured it was cheap insurance and should show any major issues.
The second part above is what's required at 25 hours.
I got all the stuff from the dealer when I bought it. Those OEM synthetics are expensive, but I agree... cheap insurance!

Then every 50 hours... check the owner manual for service intervals.
I bought a service manual from Darren for $8 so I don't mess something up.

I was changing the oil on a motorcycle that had 2 identical looking drain plugs, but one of them wasn't a drain. It held some parts in the tranny.
My tractor has 2 drain plugs on the cast oil pan and both are to drain the oil. Go figure... live and learn... be careful to do it right...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts