Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says just wondered what kind of hills you are climbing. I'm still trying to learn my new machine (Sportsman 850) being that it weighs so much it has me being much more cautious. The ride is so nice it already feels like I'm riding on air so I'm afraid I won't feel the front end coming up.

I've already been in a situation when I was on the side of a hill coming off a flat spot turning down to descend and was on three wheels, I was going at it very slow and had all my weight on the uphill floor board and over the rear tire that was in the air. It was slightly butt puckering as I don't know it's limits yet.

The terrain around me consists of tons of very steep hills and valleys near the mountains, northern nc/ southern va. Near hanging rock state park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
The steepest grade a stock 800 can go up without flipping, i was leaning forward over the front rack and it still was trying to tip back, you could feel it in the bars. Id say a 60-70 degree angle without exxagerating. id never do it again haha

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I guess I should rephrase, what is the steepest hill you would climb again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
in that case i would say depends. going straight up or straight down a hill, i wouldnt push past a 55 degree angle. In the instance you explained where you entered the slope sideways, the slope should be signifigantly less steep, id say your asking for trouble over 40 degrees in that case. i have 500s and 800s though, no xp's, maybe someone with an xp can give better advice. and the numbers i gave you are like the absolute steepest we personally would do, Its really up to the rider and their skill, but remember safety is #1! if it seems too steep, theres a good chance it is.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Don't know but my 850 will stay down in the front a lot better than my 03 700 did, Ive went up some steep hills with it, its a lot more stable than the 700 was, that been said I have a 97 425 that will also go up steep climbs better than the 700 would.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Last nervous hill climb was around 50 degrees. Had to give it up when I came across a 3' verticle stone ledge. Had to winch the Polaris 180' down the hill.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
A lot of this has to do with how your machine is loaded. A lot of weight up high on the back will reduce the steepness of the hill the machine can handle where as if you have all your weight up front you can get away with a lot steeper grades. but any hill can be dangerous if the conditions are wrong and you've got an inexperienced driver behind the controls. Case in point, I was riding B while my step son drove my Hawkeye on the trails for the first time. we didn't make it up a short steep section that I've had no issues with dozen's of times and because he didn't know what to do in the situation he sent us over backwards. This was partially due to a wet belt (the reason we didn't make it up the first time) and because my 6'5" 250 lbs was riding on the back. had he been on the machine by himself, I doubt he would have gone over.

side hill/traversing is a totally different beast as you typically can't load you machine specifically to help with side hill driving. it all has to do with how much weight you can offset either riding side saddle, high side(feet in one foot well hips off bike), or OH SH!T DON'T ROLL! DON'T ROLL! DON'T ROLL (1 foot in high side foot well/tank side/seat/ one hand on the bars, other hand and foot sticking out away from the machine to get as much weight as far away from the machine as possible. 15% is the typical warning for side hill on just about any motorized vehicle. but I've gotten away with 30%-40% side hill with just leaning up hill. (I try to avoid side hill when ever possible).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Straight up and straight down, about 60º is my comfortable max, assuming that I'm riding solo and I don't have any extra weight in the back, which is most of the time. The steepest I've been up is about 70º and I won't be doing that again. The quad didn't feel very tippy, but I was puckered and I knew that one unnoticed rock would send me ass over teakettle.... I avoid side hilling at all costs.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
TOO Steep
Crash2.jpg

·
Registered
978 Posts
dont have a steepness but ill go up the hill a ways then roll back down and see how it felt. If it felt i can take this hil...then ill take it. If it feels to steep i dont do it

·
Super Moderator
7,078 Posts
Don't know what the angle is, but it is F'en steep! This is the Launch Pad on the Gold Spike trail in Moab. I've been up it twice now, and it was just as nerve wracking the second time. The two humps near the top are just an added bonus. They lift the front wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I went to Hatfield McCoy Trails back in July 2012 with a large group of friends and family. Are group was like 21 of us. We did alot of watching videos on Youtube prior to going and we saw one video where a guy went up a steep grade and it rolled backwards on him.
Three of us were on one of the trails and we decided to go up one of the "black" trails. I was the last one going up. As I approached the top my buddy was waving at me and I didn't realize what he meant. He was trying to get me to move over. Then I saw it. There was a large flat rock right near the top of the trail and I immediately recognized it from that video we watched. I could feel the front end getting real light and bouncy so I lean forward and practically laid accross my handle bars. It was scary. Needless to say we stayed away from that hill for the rest of our stay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts