Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the large variety of terrain out there we each have our own preferred terrain to ride. What's yours? and what machine are you riding on it?

Most of us have multiple areas that we can ride in that have a varying amount of different terrain from sand to rocks to steeps to Mud to snow, etc.

I like tight trails and playing around in quarries/sand pits but I've never ridden my 300 on dunes so I don't know if I'd enjoy that as the top speed on my 300 leaves a lot to be desired if you're into speed. I enjoy riding in snow and the occasional mud puddle. I don't like to take my quad swimming or into deep mud holes (aka, I like to keep everything below the foot wells). I've yet to ride any really rocky trails or anything super steep but I think I would enjoy doing those assuming I'm not spending the whole time winching.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Windy, rocky, rooted trails and rivers. I prefer the water level to stay below the top of the clutch cover, but sometimes that just isnt possible...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I love riding winding, Dry / rocky, creek beds. As well as ripping through and open woods trail, nothing really technical but man its a rush!

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Neat topic.... and I'd think it'd be great to add pictures along your favorite trails, if you have them!!

For me, I like atv width dirt trails cut through hilly wooded areas, playing around in an occasional mud puddle or gravel pit from time to time and surely anything with a scenic naturistic view!! I also like playing in the snow and riding the ditches, gravel roads and public hunting land roads around my parents farm land. Basically.... You could call it "Exploring"!!

The occasional mud puddle I mentioned isn't much past the floor boards or wheel height as I didn't buy it to be a submarine!! And at that depth, the wife will cross without hesitation too! As we generally "go play" as a family.

I also haven't rode any really rocky trails and am not sure if I like the idea of "beating the ever loving [email protected]" out of my machine and winching it out every few minutes sounds like a "good time".

And I also like candle light dinners and long walks on the beach...... :D

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
On my 850 LE I enjoy the tight, winding, wooded trails the most. I do also love riding in the snow. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much better the act II tires handle the snow than the act I did.

While river runs are cool, I'm not a huge fan of mud or "rock gardens". I let the big dogs use their machines like submarines and I watch their videos on YouTube. It's easier on my wallet that way.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
454 Posts
So far I've driven around the block three times with my 850. That's not a rush.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm always up for anything as long as I'm out riding. Snow, mud, rocks, trails, wooded... It doesn't matter. I just want seat time

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I like gravel roads...skidder roads...some mud...not deep..I cant do all that body english..lol..or its a 911 call...snowy trails...I like bushwacking...stream beds..fire roads..we have some nice ledgey trails on the mountain here....I like that..not to tech but fun...

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I like a variety; mud, tight trails, woods, water (I guess as long as it stays below the seat so I don't get water on my belt, LOL) exploring and blazing our own trails (where permitted of course), The only thing I really don't care for super rocky trails though, just get nervous about cracking rims, popping tires, hitting the oil filter underneath, etc...

·
Registered
454 Posts
So far I've driven around the block three times with my 850. That's not a rush.
what are you waiting for?
I need to give it a full fluid change first but it's been really cold and I just have zero time and the bigger issue it's at my house were I can't legally drive it anywhere right now. I bought it for my lake house but have sleds for winter that I use both at home and the lake.

I'd like to take it up the street to the groomed snowmobile trail system a couple blocks from my house but atv's aren't allowed on snowmobile trails.

I live in a suburb in a metropolis of a city but I happen to live on the edge of the city which happens to be the edge of development in my state. It is an unusual suburb situation where one mile one way is every single store and restaurant you could imagine and 6 blocks the other way is all farms and dirt roads but people tolerate snowmobiles while they don't tolerate 4 wheelers...hence why it is for up at the lake. If I was 6 blocks over in farm country I'd be fine. I can drive over there legally with my sleds in the ditch but not with a 4 wheeler. One pissed off or offended neighbor sees me on the 4 wheeler and I'd be in trouble.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Central Texas quading

I ride around Johnson City, TX and also (so far) at Hidden Falls (near Marble Falls). Main riding spot is 5400 acres of hunting land, pretty much create my own trails (except where the cedar is too thick). So there is loose soil, grassy areas, sandy areas, rocky areas, caliche roads and then a mix for fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ride around Johnson City, TX and also (so far) at Hidden Falls (near Marble Falls). Main riding spot is 5400 acres of hunting land, pretty much create my own trails (except where the cedar is too thick). So there is loose soil, grassy areas, sandy areas, rocky areas, caliche roads and then a mix for fun.
that looks like some nice country, but with those sharp rocks and cacti, I'd be upgrading my tires if I were you. It's a night and day change from stock Carlisle to a decent set of radials.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Tires are next!

You are right, the carlisles do leave alot to be desired. The other quad (98) has Kenda Bearclaws (wider on the back by a couple inches compared to stock), not alot better but i can feel the difference especially in the sand and mud. Believe it or not, once I put some fix a flat in each tire, I can run over all the cactus i want. On the otherhand, yes I gotta watch out for sharp edged rocks but what i really fear (and you don't see in the pics) are sharp edges on tree parts that get hit by lightening. I find them all over-they hide in the tall grass so i drive slow until i make a trail then haul butt!, i guess during our thunderstorms lightening hits trees, sets them on fire, they partly burn and pieces are strewn everywhere. Recommendations for new tires?

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I like my STI black diamonds, but they are only 6 ply. I'd got 8 ply if I were riding in that terrain (and the machine could handle them, current bike is underpowered as it is).

1 - 20 of 62 Posts