Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I bought a used 2007 700cc Sportsman last April but I have been going through Cancer treatments since then ( Cancer free as of now ). I have only rode it may be 4 times since getting it and mostly a month or so between rides. Twice already the battery was dead went I went to use it as recently as today. It has the original battery so I am thinking it needs replacing. Should I stay with the Polaris brand battery or another type ?
Thanks ...
Rob ....

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not sure who's line(s) of batteries Polaris rebrands. The one Treacherous has had good experience sounds like a great AGM battery. The last small AGM we purchased came dry from Wal-Mart but I forget its brand. I strongly suggest the AGM type so you do not eat up the battery holder over time from acid spills.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out to my quad and the part no. on the battery is 4011224
I looked on the Polaris site ....

parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

and it said that part no. is for a 2007 800cc Sportsman
my part no. suppose to be 4010630
Now I am confused on what number to use as a cross reference
if I go to another brand of battery.
Rob ...

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Odyssey are unreal batteries. I have put them in both my 850s and they are beasts. Expensive but very good. Cost is a one time thing, value is determined over a lifetime.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Odyssey are unreal batteries. I have put them in both my 850s and they are beasts. Expensive but very good. Cost is a one time thing, value is determined over a lifetime.
Just out of curiosity, what do you love about your Odyssey? I always wondered what the performance difference was between expensive and cheap batteries. I'm assuming they're more reliable, and probably have a longer life when maintained... Do they perform differently though? Lights brighter, stronger/quicker starts, anything?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what do you love about your Odyssey? I always wondered what the performance difference was between expensive and cheap batteries. I'm assuming they're more reliable, and probably have a longer life when maintained... Do they perform differently though? Lights brighter, stronger/quicker starts, anything?
And are they maintenance free? Do you need a special tender for them?

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
526 Posts
When we bought our two 2002 over several months one came with AGM but is not an Odyssey (value per amp hour on low side) but a super tough off road battery) and the one with little wear/abuse has the same liquid filled (flooded lead acid) like has come on cycles for the last 50 years with a vent hose (that was missing) and it shows a lot more acid damage to the battery holder.

Where it is Odyssey or some other brand that fits the holder just make sure it is an AGM battery because they are more tough and are spill proof so if you flip it upside down and leave it for five years you will not have acid battery damage. :)

The huge thing is they do not discharge very fast when not in use for months at a time.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
when I was younger and more naive I always went to my dealer and got what they had, and their batteries typically only came with a 30-90 day warranty and only lasted 2-3 years, so I wised up and the last battery I got I went to Battery plus and got what they recommended (I think it was the AGM as mentioned above) and it came with like a 3-5 year warranty. I would also recommend getting a battery tender to leave on it so it does not go dead, that is what kills them, especially if it sits for more than a month or so..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I have Odyssey but there must be other. I have them in both my 850's. They are first of all bigger and they turn the motor over way faster. As an aside my kid left the ignition on for 8 hours with the tail lights on all night in the garage. The quad still started reluctantly. I put a tender on it and in an hour it was good to go.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have to agree with this! I just replaced the battery in my 2011 850 X2 and 2004 Bombardier Outlander 400 with this brand and couldn't be happier.

The battery I got for the X2 was twice the size as the original and it cranks like like a pissed off mule. Another added benefit is because of the larger size it not only has more cold cranking amps but it also is dual purpose designed for deep cycle which is perfect for using the winch for extended pulls.

It might not need a battery tender but as with all equipment that uses batteries on an irregular basis, a battery tender will extend the life of your battery several years. :beer:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I think getting an AGM is more important than brand. An AGM will probably last longer than most keep a quad. My 2006 had its orignal YUASA brand maintenance free battery until two weekends ago. I killed it doing heavy winching two days in a row.

Sean

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think getting an AGM is more important than brand. An AGM will probably last longer than most keep a quad. My 2006 had its orignal YUASA brand maintenance free battery until two weekends ago. I killed it doing heavy winching two days in a row.

Sean
Same here, original YUASA in my 2007 as well, still kickin, it did lose its charge last winter as I forgot to throw it on the tender during the snow free period we had, oops

·
Registered
392 Posts
The Odyssey batteries are AGM as well :beer:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I guess the question is, with ANY battery, are you always going to remember to put the tender on it? That will increase the life of ANY type battery.

If you are just never going to remember to, or are too lazy (like me) to, then I would think all battery types will last longer.

I usually go for the least expensive battery with the least effort.

I order from Amazon for $45 and the next day its at my door. Lasts 3 years or so without ever using a tender.

morale of the story, you should use a tender! :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not exactly correct. I use the Shorai 36Ah lithium. Same size as the Yuhasa that came with the 850 XP, twice the power, a fraction of the weight. No tender ever needed as they don´t lose charge at all...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Not exactly correct. I use the Shorai 36Ah lithium. Same size as the Yuhasa that came with the 850 XP, twice the power, a fraction of the weight. No tender ever needed as they don´t lose charge at all...
What price and does the OEM charging system charge it just fine.

We have the lithium powered power tool kit from Lowes and I have had them set for 6 months so I put them on the charge to top them off and it pops up a message You Fool You Already Charged Me Last Year. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Can't tell you, as I have never used the OEM charger. The bike charges it just as it would any other battery when riding.

I have not played with external charging yet. I have sophisticated lithium chargers from another hobby and can even balance individual cells through a special port on the battery. This will only happen in a few years...

In the meantime, this thing is so powerful, the bike starts in a split second (it has over 500 CCA) and I can turn all the accessories on at once without an issue - including the winch...

I still carry the old Yuhasa battery in the truck, just for the power inverter and espresso machine...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts