Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often you guys greasing wheel bearings? Owners Manual only mentions front wheel bearings @1000miles and to inspect; replace if necessary. That sounds like a recipe for disaster!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I believe that has a lot to do with where and how you drive. Dusty, Through a lot of water, mud, how many miles per year, etc.
If you had an older car you should repack your wheel bearings about once a year. Now you cant do that. I try to do my trailer bearings about once a year.
So I would think at least once a year or more frequently depending on above. I grease all my fittings about once a month and whenever I go on a long ride. Wheel bearings 2x per year. It gets easier the more you do it. Also gives me a chance to go over the whole machine to see what else is need of attention. As an example I did my buddies quad this spring and found his rear brake was loose. Interestingly enough was he just had it in the shop for a complete go over/tune up. This shows that they didnt look at that, or they did and didnt do the job properly either way, need to be tightened.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I believe that has a lot to do with where and how you drive. Dusty, Through a lot of water, mud, how many miles per year, etc.
If you had an older car you should repack your wheel bearings about once a year. Now you cant do that. I try to do my trailer bearings about once a year.
So I would think at least once a year or more frequently depending on above. I grease all my fittings about once a month and whenever I go on a long ride. Wheel bearings 2x per year. It gets easier the more you do it. Also gives me a chance to go over the whole machine to see what else is need of attention. As an example I did my buddies quad this spring and found his rear brake was loose. Interestingly enough was he just had it in the shop for a complete go over/tune up. This shows that they didnt look at that, or they did and didnt do the job properly either way, need to be tightened.
Yeah I’d agree with most what you say about greasing fittings and especially trailer bearings. But since we all ride varying amounts, to say grease wheel bearings 2x per year is arbitrary. I guess I’m looking more for miles/to grease formula based on average riding conditions. I personally avoid mud and water if for no other reason than it’s easier to clean aside from the benefit of avoiding water in bearings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Definitely depends on your riding and everyone will have a different opinion on this.

Personally I change the oil every 50hrs and do a complete lube at the same time, grease all fittings and hubs. Every 100 I change out the fluids in the gearcases and tranny.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
I change all the oils at 50hrs and grease the wheel bearings also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Dealer here told me that the wheel bearings are sealed and don't need greasing. I think he is full of shit and just wants the quad in for service work. Anyone hear of this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Most places that willingly let you ride here in Tennessee has sand everywhere, so I grease after every 2 rides. My machine is only 2 months old, and I have greased three times. The first time my battery operated grease gun pumped for about 20 seconds on each corner (about 20 pumps). Since then I have greased twice, and everytime the grease is grimy and gritty.

·
9,408 Posts
LOL... Well, now that you mention it Sprotsman, I locked my keys in the truck a couple years ago in Gatlinburg, TN and had to call a locksmith. You can imagine my surprise when who shows up in the locksmith truck... ELVIS! :eek:
He was actually pretty good and had the truck unlocked in just a few minutes... White jump suit, big belt, sideburns, glasses, hair and all. I was dazed, amazed and entertained all at once. "Thank you very much" :oops:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gonna sound like a fool here but I just had my whole rear end apart, axles out and all that good stuff. My bearings are sealed. How you greasing them?

·
9,408 Posts
Gonna sound like a fool here but I just had my whole rear end apart, axles out and all that good stuff. My bearings are sealed. How you greasing them?
If you'd look at the bearing inner race it is two pieces. The greaser forces lubricant through that gap between the races into the bearing. Watch the video below.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts