Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 850 HL, when I ride in the yard at slow speeds I can (could) hear a metal grinding sound coming from the lower left side...not a constant sound but every now and then. I walked behind it with my son riding it trying to locate the sound but no good...just lower left side. Last night I greased both rear wheel bearings very well along with most of the grease fittings I could get to. Put it all back together and didn't hear a thing!

Question - is there a certain amount of hours/time that bearing SHOULD be re-greased or do those that ride in the mud do it a lot more often? Is this one of those "buy some good sealed bearings and forget about it situations"? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
I like to do mine every 500 Mike's or once a year. I always grease them when they're brand new.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I like to do mine every 500 Mike's or once a year. I always grease them when they're brand new.
I bought that special tool for greasing so you don't have to tear everything apart, takes me just over an hr to do 4 wheels
I trail ride with creek and river crossings etc. I always get water coming out of bearings when I do 2 x's a year.

Could imagine if swamping all the time should be done more often if you don't want to always be doing bearings

·
Premium Member
7,477 Posts
I bought that special tool for greasing so you don't have to tear everything apart, takes me just over an hr to do 4 wheels
I trail ride with creek and river crossings etc. I always get water coming out of bearings when I do 2 x's a year.

Could imagine if swamping all the time should be done more often if you don't want to always be doing bearings
Those bearing greasers are great!!! I bought "Two Guys Hobby" greasers for greasing when new or if the bearing carrier is out. For maintenance I have the "Machined Integrations" outside the bearing greasers. These greasers have tripled my bearing life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went for another short ride today and no grinding or creeks. I also have that grease hub to and it does really make it easy. Also bought a flexible grease gun tube to get to those difficult fittings. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts