Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 rzr 800 & sportsman 500, 97 sportsman 500 and a 2004 sportsman 90...
I did the first 100 hour maint on the 2012's, both of them had bad bearings all the way around. Not from wear but because they were rusted up. I clean them very well after riding so I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is there anything I can do to grease them or clean them? They have a seal in them already but water/mud is still getting in them, is this a poor design or am I missing something.
I don't mind putting in bearing every year but the condition of these bearings were really bad to the point I would not drive them.

On my 97 500 they're seals that protect the bearings and over the past 10 years I have only had to replace them 1 time. I've pulled the seals off once a year and clean and repack the bearings and I only put on new seals.

Would like to hear what you all do or if you are replacing bearings every year.

thank you

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have had 2 Polaris machines in the past 15 yrs and have changed one wheel bearing in that time.Not sure where you ride but I have run in mud and water with no issues so can not understand why you would have that problem.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Are you using a pressure washer or just the garden hose?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a garden hose. I have a wond that I attach to it so I can reach all the spots. Ive read that you shouldn't use a pressure washer.

Some of the bearings look fine but are frozen and they dont spin. Im going to take some pictures and post this week so you can see what im talking about. The seals on them are giving out and there is no way to clean the bearing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here are some pics of a front bearing that was frozen. this is off of a 2012 sportsman 500 with 900 miles.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I own 3 Polaris quads. Started about 2 years ago. I have changed 4 wheel bearings so far, and have one more bad one that needs changing (4 out of the 5 are only 2006, which gets the most riding and has 26 inch bighorn knockoffs on it). I cross streams and rivers...and pressure wash. I am hoping the allballs bearings will last longer.

Sean

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
signs I saw; in both the rzr and sportsman had significant movement in them, the bearing that I took a picture of, I couldn't turn the wheel, when I loosened the castle nut it turn freely but only because the race would spin on the hub, I took all the hubs off to inspect them and either they had a lot of slop in them or they where really hard to turn.
some of the bearings when tapping them out just fell apart.

As far as what type of riding we do, the rzr is my wifes, she drives easy and only goes in mud when she has to. I don't believe we do anything to them that we shouldn't be allowed to do.

IMO - dirty water is getting inside them with no way out or to clean them out. So the type of driving really isn't what kills them it's the time spent sitting in the garage with that grimy water in them... they rust up, then you drive them some more then they wear faster due to having rust build up and so on...
If there was a way for us to be able to take the bearing apart and clean them the life of them would be longer. I understand why polaris went this direction, they are good bearing, strong with the wide race, but they are not serviceable.

tx

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I feel your pain. I, too wish that these could be serviceable, but then again, that would make them last forever, what a silly thought.:)
For me, about 3 years and it's about time for new bearings. The last time,this spring, i popped the seals off and packed the replacements with more grease, then put the seals back on....we'll see if that helps.

·
12,222 Posts
I feel your pain. I, too wish that these could be serviceable, but then again, that would make them last forever, what a silly thought.:)
For me, about 3 years and it's about time for new bearings. The last time,this spring, i popped the seals off and packed the replacements with more grease, then put the seals back on....we'll see if that helps.
I've started doing that too 4getful. I had to replace a front wheel bearing in a friends nearly new Honda Foreman last year and within 3 or 4 months it was loose again. I packed the next replacement and no more problems. I've since started doing it to all the wheel bearings I replace. They just don't have enough grease in them from the factory and once muddy water gets in they are done for in a short time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts