Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone new here thanks for having me. I have a question about new wheels for my 550. I would like to put a set of 14x7 msa m17's on it. Was told that due to the offset of this wheel, 4+3, that these particular wheels would hang out at least 3 inches a side from the fenders. Does that sound correct? The stock offset is 6+1. The whole offset kinda confuses me but I thought the difference in offset to the outside would just be 2 inches. I'll be running 28 zillas on it and don't want to have them out that far or add that much width to the quad. Thanks for any advice
Chris

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
It will be 2-3 inches wider per side than with your OEM's. They will stick out, and you will get dirty. If overall width of your atv isn't your concern, then it really doesn't matter if they stick out 2" or 3", the result will be the same. The OEM fronts aren't quite 7" wide, (more like 6-6.5" than 7) so that is why you will have more than a 2" difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob,
I think I'll go with the sti hd2 or hd3. I think i can get those with the 6+1 that is stock. 1 inch I can live with and the way the zillas throw mud, I don't want to add that much width to the quad. Thanks for the info, helped make a decision.
Chris

2012 550xp, k&n air filter, power madd hand guards, richocet a-arm covers front and back, pure polaris bumpers, 3500# winch, lock and go rear box, epi clutch kit, and soon to be sitting on 28" zillas with sti wheels

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Have you considered getting some factory take off rims, maybe from an LE? The width is right, they will hold those zillas nicely, and it will add some flair. Just a thought as you can usually find them pretty cheap on craigslist.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never thought of that I'll have to look. I don't do Craigslist that often. What do I search for "atv wheels"? Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm running 28 zillas (11 and 9) on the original oem steel wheels on an 09 550xp. They already stick out a couple inches and I've been considering flares. My 660 Grizz is running STI Black Diamond XTR's and I'll be switching over to them on the 550xp soon. I am not a big time mudder.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I never thought of that I'll have to look. I don't do Craigslist that often. What do I search for "atv wheels"? Thanks
I would search Polaris rim wheel or any variation like that. You can keep an eye open here on the forum too in the for sale section. They come around quite a bit when the Polaris sales events are going on because of all the new owners.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I say go with the wider rims and just buy flairs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts