Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Its easy Scott...

For the sake of this example, lets say your rim is 7" wide.
The center of the rim where the lug studs and nuts are is called the Wheel Mounting Surface or WMS.

If the WMS is placed 2" in from the inside bead, this leaves 5" of the 7" at the outside. That's a 5/2 offset. Make sense?

CW

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the information. I never knew what the numbers represented but I got it now.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If the WMS is placed 2" in from the inside bead, this leaves 5" of the 7" at the outside. That's a 5/2 offset. Make sense?

CW
CW,
I just read the article I linked to again, and from what I understand the first # of say a 5/2 offset is the INSIDE measurement,
and the second # is the OUTSIDE measurement.

Just included the pic from the article for a 5/2 offset.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts

CW
CW,
I just read the article I linked to again, and from what I understand the first # of say a 5/2 offset is the INSIDE measurement, and the second #
is the OUTSIDE measurement.
Scott,
I would say a ruler will tell you that right quick. :flowers: :puppy_dog_eyes:

My example was just that.
Generally speaking there is no such rim as a rim with 2" back space in the ATV world.
Many people are confused with the terms offset or back spacing. Personally, I prefer the term back spacing, as it more directly describes what you need.
Anyone can go look and measure there rims on the machine and everyone will see how much more room they need. They would realise the differences in going form a 8" tire and a 10" tire. They likely only have 3/4" to 1" of clearance with the 8". A 10" tire will get them 1" additional on EACH side of that. SO, that new 10" tire will NOT fit with the same rim back spacing...

CW

·
Registered
829 Posts
Here's a related question...I have read that spacers can put stress on other components. If you use a wheel that widens the quad, does that do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Anytime you move weight farther away from the supporting structure you will add stress to all componenets.JMO

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

CW
CW,
I just read the article I linked to again, and from what I understand the first # of say a 5/2 offset is the INSIDE measurement, and the second #
is the OUTSIDE measurement.
Scott,
I would say a ruler will tell you that right quick. :flowers: :puppy_dog_eyes:

My example was just that.
Generally speaking there is no such rim as a rim with 2" back space in the ATV world.
Many people are confused with the terms offset or back spacing. Personally, I prefer the term back spacing, as it more directly describes what you need.
Anyone can go look and measure there rims on the machine and everyone will see how much more room they need. They would realise the differences in going form a 8" tire and a 10" tire. They likely only have 3/4" to 1" of clearance with the 8". A 10" tire will get them 1" additional on EACH side of that. SO, that new 10" tire will NOT fit with the same rim back spacing...

CW
When I put my new wheels on my bike, I ordered them with a 4/3 and a 4/4. When they arrived, I measured them to confirm the backspacing and both the 7" and 8" wheels measured 4" backspacing. Which is the first number in the figures.:hmmm:

The 2" backspaced wheels are used on sra(straight rear axle) bikes.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Anytime you move weight farther away from the supporting structure you will add stress to all componenets.JMO
Thanks racer!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts