Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here so I apologize if this has been answered before (I did search quite a bit).

I have a 2017 Sportsman XP 1000 base model.

I'm looking at upgrading wheels/tires, and trying to keep it as close to stock as possible, and not much wider than it already is. The dealership told me go 4+3, but through the digging so far, I get the feeling it will change the steering characteristics, increase overall width, and be getting covered in whatever I'm riding through. With the 5+2 I'm concerned with not having the necessary clearance inside.

It has the "body armor" the 16 ga steel tubing around it, so fender flares are not an option. (I'm in the NE so it's dense woods, rocky and swamps; old grizzly 700 plastics would take a beating rubbing up on trees/rocks - it has come in handy)

The setup I'd like:
wheels - Method Racing 405 beadlock wheels which'll be 14x7 for all four
tires- maxxis bighorns 26x9x14 in the front and 26x11x14 in the rear

It's really come down to 4+3 or 5+2?

Thank you in advance for your help. Any and all advice is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Stock equivalent would be 6+1. To my knowledge STI is one of the inky reasonably priced manufacturer of this offset in 14". 4+3 is way to wide and looks funny on the XP line. I wouldn't go any wider then 5+2!!!!!! FYI the Bighorns in the size you have chooses will fit without issue on a 6+1 rim.

Reactions: jg xp1000

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply bp405, I'm not really worried about how it looks just more on function. from what I can find the stock rims on the front are 5.5 and on the rear are 7.5. By adding the 1.5 in the front, I dont want the inside to rub on the tie rod or inside the wheel well. That's the only logical explanation I can think of why the dealer is saying 4+3.

Attachments

·
12,260 Posts
The only reason the dealer is wanting to sell you 4+3 rims is because he has them for sale!!
Just put you some good tires on the stock rims and forget about it...Go riding. They won't rub and you will save yourself a bunch of money and grief.

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Well hell that's the other option put those Bigs on your OEM rims and forget about it!!!!! But again if it's new rims you want look at STI for a 6+1 and if they don't have anything that fits your fancy look to other manufacturers in nothing wider then 5+2. Hey 4+3 will work but I think it looks ridiculous and just makes the quad to wide. But what do I know!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@polman500 - I thought that might be the case, but they dont carry the wheels i want, nor did they try and pitch an alternative. as far as throwing better tires on stock rims it's looking more an more like the route i'll take.
@MegaBUD - OG

Would the bighorns fit on the stock rims? Maxxis website says 14x7 wheel size, would there be problems putting them on a 14x5.5 or 14x7.5?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my question should have just been will this setup work without changing anything else:

14x7 rims, 5+2 offset with 26x9x14 tires in the front and 26x11x14 in the rear?

·
Premium Member
12,383 Posts
Yes!!!!!

Reactions: jg xp1000
1 - 10 of 10 Posts