Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my Polaris 700 stolen while returning from Montana. They cut the lock on the hitch and took trailer and all while we were sleeping in the hotel. Do any of you have suggestions to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
815 Posts
wow that sucks. sorry to hear. My guess would be stay hooked up or block the trailer in with a vehicle.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Better off with a steel hitch lock those yellow plastic ones are horrible someone as work lost the keys to one and I gave it one whack with a hammer and it was off

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks I will look into better locks. The good part of the story was we were on our way back. I would have really been mad if it was on the way there.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Arrrrrgggggg!

Very sorry to hear that, really sucks, hope your auto/home insurance can help out. All i can suggest is get the thickest, strongest cable/chain you can find with a really strong lock. I like Kryptonite but I'm sure stronger can be had. I use more than one on each quad and then between vehicle and trailer. I go with multiples to slow them down and make them give up.

I also use the technique mentioned above of backing the trailer into a spot where it cannot be pulled off hitch w/out moving your truck. In addition when i'm in a spot where that is not possible, I use multiple locks with longer cables that go thru trailer wheels. Like others mentioned nothing can really stop someone bent on stealing but it will slow them down, hopefully enough they'll move onto an easier target. I suppose motion alarms (110db ought to scare 'em away!) are a possibility-anything to deter them (one below is $26 on amazon), arseholes!

The Ulock from Kryptonite (pricey at $98) may also help you. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
There is no 100% sure way to prevent theft. The best preventative measure is to park in a way that they can not remove the trailer from the tow vehicle. However, they could always steal the truck AND trailer.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I hope you had everything insured. I recently saw a story on trailer theft and the gist of it was that there is almost nothing a cordless reciprocating saw cannot defeat. The best locks, cables and devices take mere seconds to cut off to the point where it is a bit shocking.
This a common issue in certain states such as Florida with boat/trailer theft and the bottom line is removing a wheel or otherwise ensuring it can't be towed away is one of the better solutions. One of the guys I know even tried the old cable lock through both rims only to realize that one day he forgot to remove the cable himself and it instantly broke in the first couple feet of being towed. If they truly want it...

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I would be livid. I always find a spot I can back in with the trailer attached and the back of it up against something. They would have to physically put up my atvs over the trailer rails. If they want them bad enough though they will find a way

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
like already stated the more lock, chains, n cables the better. back into a spot, in a high visibility area under lights. if possible park ur set up were u can see it from ur room window. the harder it is for a thief to take the more likely the thief will pass on it. probably the best deterrent is an enclosed trailer. what a thief cant see he won't steal, well at least the risk reward factor is a mystery and it would take a hard up thief to break that law of probability.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Best bet, as others have stated, is to park with the trailer backed into something solid. When we were moving my parents up to AK last summer towing their 18' enclosed trailer, when I couldn't park with the trailer backed up next to something, I parked opposite of the lines on the edge of the lot (yes, taking up about 20 spots, yeah, I'm that guy). I'd park with the nose of my truck almost touching one of our other vehicles (we had 4 total, including my truck, the tow rig) and my dad would park his truck immediately behind the trailer, almost touching.

Probably the easiest way to secure a trailer is to put a keyed switch into your breakaway box (assuming you have trailer brakes) to "lock" your trailer brakes. This way, even if they get it un-coupled from the tow rig, they'll have a helluva time moving it unless they figure out how to deactivate the keyed switch, either by picking the lock, or by splicing the wires, both of which require an elevated skill level.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Does any one know if there is any kind of GPS device that can be hidden on the wheeler for tracking it if ever needed. You could then track the location after it was stolen.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Brickhouse Security makes several small GPS trackers, best location to put one would probably be in the headlight pod. Tap into the accessory plug for power, and it should still be able to get a fairly decent signal.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Brickhouse Security makes several small GPS trackers, best location to put one would probably be in the headlight pod. Tap into the accessory plug for power, and it should still be able to get a fairly decent signal.

Great idea.

Question: wouldn't the GPS need continuous power, not just accessory? Does it have a battery backup??

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you very much I will check into these. I would love to catch somebody that will do this type of thing. Not only did they get my wheeler but they also got my buddies brand new can am. I keep telling him the only reason they stole his can am is because it was on the trailer with my POLARIS

·
Registered
454 Posts
To me insurance is the key. My very high limits of liability (read the most expensive policy offered) liability and property coverage is under $120/year for my sig bike. By the time I find it's gone, it'll be far away more likely than not and I'm not going to search or coordinate a search with whatever number of authorities would need to be involved. I will remove the key (as ultimately useless as that is) but won't do anything crazy to secure it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
To me insurance is the key. My very high limits of liability (read the most expensive policy offered) liability and property coverage is under $120/year for my sig bike. By the time I find it's gone, it'll be far away more likely than not and I'm not going to search or coordinate a search with whatever number of authorities would need to be involved. I will remove the key (as ultimately useless as that is) but won't do anything crazy to secure it.
This is my method as well. When traveling we are usually backed in. But for the most part, I just remove the key. People always look at me crazy, but I say if you can move about 900 pounds of machine without anyone noticing, congratulations you won a machine.

Insurance is the best security.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Great idea.

Question: wouldn't the GPS need continuous power, not just accessory? Does it have a battery backup??

You wouldn't want it to draw power from the battery all the time, I would think it would eventually kill your battery. Most GPS trackers will drop "breadcrumbs" that you can view. So if they turn the key on (who steals a quad to let it sit, they'll probably be riding it) it will power up the GPS unit and send a "breadcrumb" that you can view online.

I agree though, no amount of security will replace insurance. Safeguard your stuff, lock it up, but no lock will replace a quad stolen by a dedicated thief.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

Great idea.

You wouldn't want it to draw power from the battery all the time, I would think it would eventually kill your battery. Most GPS trackers will drop "breadcrumbs" that you can view. So if they turn the key on (who steals a quad to let it sit, they'll probably be riding it) it will power up the GPS unit and send a "breadcrumb" that you can view online.

I agree though, no amount of security will replace insurance. Safeguard your stuff, lock it up, but no lock will replace a quad stolen by a dedicated thief.

Ahh I get it. Thank you.

My concern would be that the thief wouldn't have the key (as many here, I don't leave the key in the ignition) and would tear the pod apart to get to the ignition. They would then find the gps unit.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts