Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm going to be going with some 27" mudlite XTR's or possibly 27" mayhem's. I'd like to go 28" but I'm not sure if I will go that big (still enjoying hauling a## on this thing!).

My question that I have to ask....I have the stock steel wheels on mine. I don't think I will like them with the look of a better tire on them. Looking for some black aftermarket wheels but don't want them sticking out like some I see.

Anyone know of some of the aftermarket wheels that have a stock like offset/backspacing? but yet can fit a bigger tire?

Worse comes to worse, I could buy the nicer XP alloy wheels. Do they directly bolt right on? I thought I read the steel wheels require shorter studs compared to the alloy wheels.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the exact same problem when I upgraded tires this summer. Chose ITP Mudlite XTR's but could not find a wheel that would not make the bike wider. Ended up staying with the original XP wheels that came with the bike. Have worked just fine and a positive thing is that now I dont have to worry about breaking or scrathing new wheels since they're already scuffed up...

And about the tires...Mayhems are way softer which means they have better grip when riding in rocky terrain but also wear out quicker. So far XTR's have been very solid tire allround - only one complaint I have is the weight but thats given when upgrading from factory tires

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the exact same problem when I upgraded tires this summer. Chose ITP Mudlite XTR's but could not find a wheel that would not make the bike wider. Ended up staying with the original XP wheels that came with the bike. Have worked just fine and a positive thing is that now I dont have to worry about breaking or scrathing new wheels since they're already scuffed up...

And about the tires...Mayhems are way softer which means they have better grip when riding in rocky terrain but also wear out quicker. So far XTR's have been very solid tire allround - only one complaint I have is the weight but thats given when upgrading from factory tires

Can you post pics?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I used to run 27in xtr's. Not sure why so many guys are afraid to go wider stance with the wheels, unless you have trail restrictions, just get some flares.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
In my case its not about getting dirty but the wider machine tends to be clumsy in the forest...you know where trees grow :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have the alloys. I have the steel wheels. Will alloys bolt on to mine and be a direct fit?

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Don't be afraid of going to 28's. With a little clutch work you will be running better than stock with them. There is some bump steer anti kickback designed into the XP line with the stock tire offset. Going wider can negatively effect that and cause the bars to jerk if you hit an off camber bump or big rock. Otherwise going wider is only an issue if you can't fit on the trailer or your trails are not wide enough.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need a clutch kit for 27's??

How hard are they to install?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know it would turn them....but wanted to make sure it didn't need a clutch kit to prevent any damage.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
They will be alot heavier than stock, definately get a clutch kit. They are easy enough to install. Took me about 1 hour, if i did it again, prolli 30 mins.

Get a qsc clutch from ridinagain.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd get a clutch kit if your planning to upgrade to 28 or bigger...no need for it with 27" IMO...thou not saying it wont help

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
You can turn 27-28s fine with stock clutching, but the stock clutching on the 850 isn't that great to start with. If you get really heavy tires in any size you may have issues with the belt slipping in high.

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
STI HD2 and now the HD3 come in a 6+1 offset which in the aftermarket world is as close to stock offset as you can get.

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts