Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I seem to have a bit of a problem. Last night I was riding in the snow, I didnt hit anything, just turning around and as you can see my 2 wheels are going different directions. Someone mentioned lower tie rods? Be easy on me I don't know much about this. Also, its buried in the woods, which obviously means i cant just throw money at someone and fix it..... Anyone walk me through this? I have attached a picture of the disaster...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Looks like you broke a tie rod end, or the nut backed its way off. There is 2 rods that come off the lower part of your steering stem( whats connects your handlebars to the tie rods. those Two rods are your tie rods. they should be attatched to your steering knuckle by your front tire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I don't envy you working on it in the snow. I don't like working with tie rod ends in my garage!

Is it a smooth trail in to where the ATV is? Can you hoist up the front end onto another ATV and drive out carefully? Can a pickup reach it? Maybe you can find someone with a pickup who would be willing to do a rescue mission.

·
Registered
862 Posts
just pray its a outter tie rod not the inner. they are easy enough to get fixed to where you can at least get out of the woods and finnish it some were warm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just went out there, and maybe this will help you guys determine. The Rubber boot that goes on the outside of the rod, right next to the tire, is extremely twisted, not sure what that means. It looks like the top rod, and the bottom (horizontal) rod are both connected....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Too bad you didn't take some pictures of it while you were out there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can take pictures. I actually just snowblowed a path out to it. Its about 1000 feet off my property. I will take detailed pictures in a bit. Maybe even a video. thanks guys

·
Registered
377 Posts
Pictures would really help us figure out what's going on. Be careful not to zoom too far in because it would get fuzzy and we might miss details.

If it's only 1000 feet out, and you were able to plow a path to it, couldn't you put the front end on a skid and drag it back to your garage in the snow?

When you said "buried in the woods", I envisioned some trail up in the hills, miles from a trailhead.

·
Registered
434 Posts
could be a stupid question......is it bent? lol

·
Registered
554 Posts
Tow it home, clean it off, and put it in the garage/shed and dry it out. It's already broken, I doubt you'll make it worse. Once it's dried off take the wheels off and see what happened. It should be pretty obvious. Likely broken tie rods. Could be a broken spindle though. Did you hit something, or did it just happen?

I've had tie rods fall apart and ball joints pop out on my Hondas. I hade my friend tow my Foreman about a mile through the mud. Took me 20 minutes to put the ball joint back in place and get back on the trails.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well folks, once i moved the snow away it became blatently obvious why this happened. See in the pictures the bottom (i think its called a tie rod) has come off. Now for the next step putting it back on. I'm hoping this comes down to just a Bolt or something? Anyone know what type of bolt I will need to put this back on? Thanks for the support here guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
its not as simple as was thought, your ball joint under your hub has either sheered or came out of the a-arm, what your looking as is your cv-joint and your axle has came out of it, hopefully you didnt rip that boot, you need to jack up your quad and at the bottom of your strut there should be a tapered stud sticking out that is the end of your ball joint if its not there its sheered right off but im guessing its there because the other half is not in your a-arm, so jack up the quad, straighten out that rubber boot by turning your wheel to untwist it, and try to push that axle back into its splines on the cv-joint, inside that boot, then onse you get that in put the ball joint into the a-arm and find a nut to go on the end of it with a cotter pin

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its not as simple as was thought, your ball joint under your hub has either sheered or came out of the a-arm, what your looking as is your cv-joint and your axle has came out of it, hopefully you didnt rip that boot, you need to jack up your quad and at the bottom of your strut there should be a tapered stud sticking out that is the end of your ball joint if its not there its sheered right off but im guessing its there because the other half is not in your a-arm, so jack up the quad, straighten out that rubber boot by turning your wheel to untwist it, and try to push that axle back into its splines on the cv-joint, inside that boot, then onse you get that in put the ball joint into the a-arm and find a nut to go on the end of it with a cotter pin

Understood, I see what it should look like from that video. So basically im crossing my fingers that when i go back out there, then thing where the tie rod sits is still there....and not broken off...correct?

·
Registered
434 Posts
sorry looking closer it looks as if your ball joint came out and is sitting on the end of your a-arm, there should of been a plate with 2 screws holding that into your strut and usually there so tight in there (have to be pressed, or strut heated, ball joint cooled) to get in there there might be more to this problem.....id start by taking the wheel off, take the nut off the end of cv-joint, remove hub, put cv joint back together then take more pics with all of the snow off the bottom of strut and ball joint/end of a-arm

·
Registered
434 Posts
tie rod is what you see behing the brake like on pic #3 its fine and perfectly straight but you would of bean lucky for it to be that lol this is way worse

1 - 20 of 24 Posts