Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt my friends 2012 polaris sportsman 400 after i wrecked it and i got a new ignition switch along with the rebuild. Now every time i turn the key the main fuse blows. The relay is good i check it and even got a new one.

Is it possible the ignition switch I got is bad? this is giving me a headache in my garage looking up wiring diagrams. Let me know where to go from here before i take the entire bike back apart and cut all wire shields back and check each wire one by one.

thanks

·
Registered
993 Posts
You have a dead short some where but sadly you are going to be the only one that can find it. If you cut and spliced any wires I would start looking there first. If you have the diagrams in front of you it will be fairly easy to track down the problem. Just look at which wire comes hot when the key turns on and trace that wire back to find which wire is causing the open short. I really doubt it has anything to do with a relay, but that's just me.

·
Registered
771 Posts
yup just like cubby said. you have a dead short. you might have pinched a wire in the motor mount area.
retrace what you took apart and i bet you will find where you got a wire stuck in a bolt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wasn't the answers i was looking for haha. i had it down to the frame just motor and frame. all front suspension and plastics were completely off. but i have a feeling its somewhere around gas tank

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know your wiring and fuse block arrangement but can you pull one fuse then turn key to start or run (where it blows the main fuse) and so on till the circuit stops popping?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know your wiring and fuse block arrangement but can you pull one fuse then turn key to start or run (where it blows the main fuse) and so on till the circuit stops popping?
theres the 4 fuses on the block. then wires only the main fuse blows none of the other ones

·
Registered
131 Posts
Does the main fuse only power the run position of the keyswitch or is it a general power feed into the four block fuse panel? Does it blow when in run or only when you hit the start position? How about when the handlebar switch is OFF and key is turned, does it blow? I love these kind of problems and if it was an old car I could actually be helpful! Sorry!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the main fuse only power the run position of the keyswitch or is it a general power feed into the four block fuse panel? Does it blow when in run or only when you hit the start position? How about when the handlebar switch is OFF and key is turned, does it blow? I love these kind of problems and if it was an old car I could actually be helpful! Sorry!!!
only blows when turn the key to try and start it

·
Registered
993 Posts
Welcome to the forum also.

I only ask because I'm not looking at a wiring diagram but if I were, tell me where the current goes from power to switch from turning the key on? With in that path lies your problem, because its a dead short that is causing your problem of blowing the fuse. Sorry man just trying to help but it sounds like you have the answers in front of you.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would think so too. The start position should just run the power to the solenoid. Any safety interlocks like a trans safety switch, brake safety switch etc of course are active at that point too. They can all be checked with continuity checks using the meter. You don't have an auxiliary power tap running off the solenoid stud do you?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I get that the bike is stock, but if your unwilling to trace and test a few wires, how do you expect us to help? Were not mind readers here. You have to help us to help you man.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have everything apart right now and took all shielding off wires. the main fuse the yellow wire goes to ignition switch from fuse. i need an ignition switch diagram

·
Registered
771 Posts
get your volt meter and switch it to ohms. stick one lead in place of the fuse and the other to chassis ground. normally it should read open. or OL, but in your case it will give a reading probably of .01 ohms. start moving wires and tracing wires untill your meter reads open.
thats how i would find it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Look at the wires around steering stem, that's where they usually break. Also remove fuse block and look at the back side of it to see if anything is loose and arcing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the bike isn't getting spark and traced it to the cdi system do these go back frequently? i have yamahas and honda bikes this is for a friend. I will check the fuse box today and around steering post since i did replace that since it bent in half.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yes they can go bad. But kinda find it hard to believe that a bad cdi box is causing the fuse to blow. Did you disconnect it and it stopped blowing the fuse?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i traced the one white/red wire from fuse box to that and the bike not getting spark. can someone tell me how to test the cdi box like what ohms should be so i can verify that is the problem.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Is that the only thing on that fuse? And if you unplug it does the fuse not blow? If so that's a good I indication that it's internally shorted. Also look at the cdi connector. Make sure it's not melted

·
Registered
771 Posts
u ever figure this one out? i like updates! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts