Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all! Wanted to start a forum for guys like me that ain't too familiar with the 850 XP maintenance and stuff so here's my questions:

1. Guys talk about greasing bushings on em every ride, where are these bushings at?? Sway bar bushings?

2. Is it a good idea to do it every ride?

3. What is the part number for a k&n oil filter for the 2013 850 sportsman?

And anything else you more experienced guys can tell us about regular little things we can do to make our bikes live long and prosper lol thanks!!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
#1 one the inside and outside pivot joints of the a arms and the rear of the front drive shaft (by the motor).

#2 if u ride water and mud yea every ride but if not then every 3-4 rides. The grease works its way out when u pump new grease in it pushes the old dirty grease out.

My S3 addiction!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome thanks for the info, already learning lol I'm sure lots of guys have little tips or tricks, I'm interested in all of em. Preventative maintenance is the key to not ending up on one of these " help my quad is broke " threads sooner than later haha!! Thanks y'all!

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you have the owners manual it should tell you all that stuff....not trying to be a prick, just sayin'.

seabee78

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right copy that Seabee, just for some folks it's easier to understand person to person input. I have my owners manual in my pick up I usually thumb through that on Fridays while I'm waiting for my daughter at the bus stop lol. Appreciate the input tho!! I'm more or less tryin to make a maintenance thread that anyone can look on and do a quick PM on the bike before riding, might come in handy someday to have a quick reference to check out in case the manual goes missing lol

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Agreed!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For example, just went out and tried to wiggle my tires to check for play in the wheel bearings or hub bearings, not sure what they're know as, but my left front on the 850 has a little bit of wobble to it where as the right front doesn't. Might be something I need to keep a close eye one I reckon! These forums are a damn good teaching tool about these quads! I'm used to racing quads where ya can see everything there is to see on em without having to pull plastics off lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Could be wheel bearings or bushings. Jack it up and wiggle it. Watch where the movement occurs. A small amount of play is ok, but yeah, keep an eye on it. I believe the XP have 19 grease points. You can't over grease.

Edit: you will need a grease gun. How mechanical are you? Do you know what a grease zerk is?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I just edited my other reply while you were typing....
Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah I see it, oh yeah we are pretty mechanical. I ain't worked on many quads but been wrenching on everything else for a whileeeee! There's just a ton of places ya can't see to do a good visual check on these things before a ride. I'm gettin er figured out tho. Brakes are a piece of cake as well as changing the oil, I know that much but that's also about as far as I've got on my maintenance lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Right on. The more mud/ water you ride the more vital it is you keep clean grease in them bushings

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Handy piece of information to have right there! I'll grease em tomorrow after our ride and a clean-up lol I'm sure it needs it. Got about 400 miles on it now and I ain't greased em yet. Noticed my rear sway bar slides left and right in its bushings too about an inch or so, that's a new one on me too. A learning experience checkin this beast out that's for sure lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I thought I was pretty good on the greasing myself. At about 1200 miles I needed new on the rear.
I'm pretty sure the swaybar has some slop in it, but have not really poked around on an XP much. My 800 does tho

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah ok, might be normal on mine too then, I just never noticed it before today. I'll be keepin a check on that too along with the left front wheel I reckon lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see what your doing here, just looked like it was a basic maintenance question, but for that insider info, you know, that stuff that isn't written in the manual, is an even better idea.

seabee78

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Is it possible to OVER grease the bushings? On my old polaris I did it every few rides...a few guys told me that I could be damaging the bushings by greasing them too often (I dont see how that is possible, but figured I would ask)??

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is it possible to OVER grease the bushings? On my old polaris I did it every few rides...a few guys told me that I could be damaging the bushings by greasing them too often (I dont see how that is possible, but figured I would ask)??
No, you can't really over grease a bushing, because if you put more in than it can hold the excess just comes out around the sides of the bushing.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You actually want to see the old grease come out. That's how you get the sand and water out of the bushings.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Wildhorse, when your A-arm/shock bushings go (notice I didn't say "if" ;) ) I highly recommend you pick up a full set of bushings from JCCapri. He's a fella on this site that makes bushing kits out of Nylatron I believe. They are "self greasing" but I would recommend greasing them as you would any other bushing...just that much more protection. People will recommend using a marine grade grease too, as its more resistant to water breakdown/deterioration. I use a red grease made by Schaeffer's that has moly in it, handles extreme pressures really well, very tacky and stays where you put it, and hard to pound out; makes the Polaris all-season purpose grease look like water in comparison.

Also, on the sway bar there are two mounts where it connects to the frame. As you get more dust accumulated back there, they will squeak and squeal over rough terrain; drives me NUTS! Supposedly you can use a needle tip on your grease gun and lube them. I however, since its super easy to remove them, will just unbolt them, clean them up really good with a citrus based degreaser from Schaeffer's then re-apply grease and pack it good on the inside of the two halfs that wrap around the sway bar. As you press it together the excess will force out, plus it keeps those reserve tracks inside it full of grease too. Then I put a coat of grease on the outside of that "bushing" set where the metal holder wraps around them and bolts to the frame. Quiet as a mouse! I just switched them over to the red moly as well, 100 miles of dusty trails and so far still no squeaks; very nice since I was doing that after every ride with the Popo grease. There is another bushing setup just like the ones on the sway bar, but its on the steering column. Take off your front box and the small shroud (has the Popo logo on it) at the front of the bike right under the pod. Once you remove that shroud you'll see it sitting there on the steering stem. I grease that one just like I do the sways.

Some people one here, myself included, love using a product called Fluid Film on our bikes. Its a lanolin wool wax product that's solvent free I believe. It leeches into the metal, stopping and preventing rust. Also makes washing dust/mud off with ease as its water/oxygen repellent. Can be found for about $13 in aerosol form or ordered in like a paint can for 30-40$ I think.

Whenever you clean out the belt housing, look for signs of water...you may have to reseal the inner PVT case to the back of the block. Some are done right by Popo...others were done on a Friday or Monday and leak. Also take the time to blow out all the dust with compressed air. If you're OCD, you can remove the belt and clean/scuff the sheaves on the primary and secondary clutches once in awhile. Take a new yellow Scotch Brite kitchen sponge that has the green scrubby stuff on it; rip the green stuff off of it. Scuff the sheave faces with it going from center bearing to outer edge PERPENDICULAR to belt travel. Leaves microscopic abrasions that will act like teeth; helps with belt grip especially when breaking in a new belt! Make sure to use a non-oil based cleaner to remove any dust/residue left behind; I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

Oil changes...typically start wars on any forum. Recommend you do your own research using the search function on here and formulate your own thoughts; just remember...Polaris ISN'T an oil manufacture, they pay someone to make an oil to a spec and then put their logo and a huge price tag sticker on it. Same goes for the fluids in the rear diff, the transmission, and the front diff/ADC; just research it. If ya get stumped by something ask away!

Coolant, any green coolant should be good to mix if ya get low. The 850s tend to stay below the MIN line even if you add fluid to the reservoir to top it off. I've caught mine puking it out, so I just leave it below the MIN line. If you switch over to a different coolant like Engine Ice (blue) then make sure you do a few flushes with pure distilled water and a mix of regular house hold vinegar. I use 50/50 mix of that. The vinegar will help remove any scale deposits that may have formed while also flushing the system of old coolant.

Some people go through brakes every few 100s of miles. I've got over 1200 miles on mine and well over 1/2 the pads left; ride sensibly and the engine braking on these things is more then enough for trail riding for my style.

If you like to keep it clean and shiny, there's multiple threads on products to use. I use Megiuar's NXT 2.0 wax (paste or liquid) and it works like a champ and I use Fluid Film on the plastics underneath to help with mud removal. Some people just use good old Pledge or Armor All with good results...tons of info out there.

...Second only to riding is my love for taking it apart and cleaning her up!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts