Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Newbie from Missouri here. I have decided to upgrade from my older 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 to a new Polaris. I have been researching and went to two local dealers to look at them and talked to one salesperson which I liked. I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
My questions are: Does anyone know of the the dealer around St. Louis or Southeast Missouri to get the best price? What is a fair price on a 2011 500 HO? Should I consider a 2010 500 HO 2UP for around $6500 new? What are downfalls or benefits to the 2UP models in lew of the standard 500 HO? I found one leftover and available and discounted.
I will let you know what happens with my purchase.
Thanks for all the help and information in advance!
JUSTICE

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello all. Newbie from Missouri here. I have decided to upgrade from my older 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 to a new Polaris. I have been researching and went to two local dealers to look at them and talked to one salesperson which I liked. I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
My questions are: Does anyone know of the the dealer around St. Louis or Southeast Missouri to get the best price? What is a fair price on a 2011 500 HO? Should I consider a 2010 500 HO 2UP for around $6500 new? What are downfalls or benefits to the 2UP models in lew of the standard 500 HO? I found one leftover and available and discounted.
JUSTICE
I just purchased a 2011 500 HO and got helmet and ramps for truck and 3 yr warranty $7200 out the door tax fees etc.

Nashville area-- hope this helps you

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
As far as price, net dealer profit on most machines range about $700-$1000 dollars, before any fright and set up fees. If i were buying, my first negoitation step would be to get the rebate off of MSRP offered by polaris, and zero freight and set up fees. (Tax and license is what it is, those are state fees. Just make sure you know what they should be, so the dealer doesnt add a paper prep fee.)

Anything on top of the rebate that you can get the dealer to mark off is just gravey to you. Each dealer is different, but $200-$500 off, plus the rebate, plus no extra fees can be found, and is a pretty good deal.

Accessories I am going to ask for cost, or 10-15% over their cost. (Average dealer markup on accessories is 20-30%) So basically I am going to be looking for 10-30% of retail.

And if I am having them install accessories, I am going to ask for half off on labor time. Usually, a commission mechanic makes half of the shops hour rate, so that allows the shop to pay the mechanic for the work (which he should get paid) but the shop doesnt really make any money off of the labor.

I would absolutely consider the 2-up 2010 model. A lot of places, and its becoming more and more, is against the law to ride 2-up on a machine not designed for that. You will also find that riding two up will cause you to have to crank the rear shocks to their heighest settings, causing the machine to be more bouncy and rough. It will also be a tight fit, and will be less stabil.

The touring model really excess at carring the passenger. The rear suspension is rolled and mounted behind the weight of the passenger seat, so you still retain the softness in the suspension you want to have. (2-up on a non-2-up machine puts the rear passenger right over the suspension mounts, causing the springs and shocks to compress really easily, making it a rough ride.) The machine is more stable, the passenger has much more comfortable ride. The only down fall is the extend lenght of the machine, about 10" and that only slightly extends the turning radius. On trails and weekend riding, you wont notice the length. Also, i believe the touring, and I know the X2 come with turf mode, allowing you to unlock the rear differental, allowing you to turn tighter much like a 1-up machine would.

My experience is I use to sell polaris ATV's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow. Thanks Blueline. Great info. on everything. What about reselling the 2UP in the future? Is it harder to sell? I am just trying to think ahead. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I bought a 2011 850 xp at shoals outdoos sports in Alabama. Otd price 7199..delivered to my drive way from Tuscumbia, AL to Houston, TX.....7630. I think they have the 550 for 6199....... These are on the non eps models...but I personally dont like powersteering gives me one less thing to worry about that might break. Anyways give them a call and ask for frank. Their number is 256-389-8150...their web site is Alabama, KTM, Lowe, Mercury, Polaris, Triton, Victory, ATV, boat, motorcycle, fishing, UTV, Shoals Outdoor Sports, ATV, Suncruiser, pontoon, hunting

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just orderrd it friday, should receive paperwork today or tomorrow and my understandung is, I have to get a title application that's it, no registration so I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it. I don't know how true that is though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been searching local newspapers and have found a couple dealers in southen ILL that are advertising 500 HO's for $4,995. I am sure this includes rebates etc. but that leaves me more room for accessories! :moon:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Please keep us posted when you receive the machine from AL.

General Sam's in Huntsville is a great place to ride. I live north of the woodlands.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have kind of narrowed down to a midsize 500 model because I am a basic weekend rider. I will be using it for hunting and riding around on local trails with my wife on the back. Nothing to hard. We have been doing this for a long time on the little Beartracker so anything will be an upgrade.
JUSTICE

For your needs...I would highly recommend the 2010 500 Touring. Sounds like a really good price...and believe me...your wife will thank you after the first ride.

Things to consider with Touring model:
1. Length! Yeah...these machines are long...and make sure your truck or trailer can haul it. YES...size does matter here!:shocked:

2. Weight! They do add to the Polaris heavy side.

3. Rear seat. Not sure on the 2010 500 Touring model if the rear seat is removable??? If so...not that big an issue when hunting season comes...so you can use the rear rack. If not...something to consider.

Enjoy...either way you go! And make sure to post pics!

biz
:biglaugh:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Haven't received the bike yet but did application for title and harris county doesn't collect sales tax on out if state sales so all I paid was 33 for title. Anyhow been shopping for insurance well progressive 920, geico 850, esurance 1250, markel 780. Wtf..

·
Registered
188 Posts
I just orderrd it friday, should receive paperwork today or tomorrow and my understandung is, I have to get a title application that's it, no registration so I shouldn't have to pay taxes on it. I don't know how true that is though.
Call your local DMV, but I'm pretty sure that sales tax must be paid when you go to licence it for the first time...

·
Registered
188 Posts
JUSTICE
First thing to do is decide on what you want. Take your wife and go to a dealership and ride both models (touring and non-touring). Be sure to have them throw a seat on the (non-touring model) and see how your wife enjoys the ride. I have an 850 XP and I can tell you that it is a big big machine, I could not imagine having a bigger model.

Second, how often does your wife really ride with you, don't buy a 2 up for 4-6 rides a year.

Third, do you even need efi? I would not even want EFI unless I lived in a colder climate.

And last thing, check eBay and Craigslist... There are many of these units for sale used. I called on 9 of them and every singlr person but 1 was selling due to the fact they could not afford the payments, and one guy was getting married, oh and one was buying a new home (this is the guy that I purchased from)...

Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Already did, they told me to contact my local tax office, so I went in person she said no sales tax on atv's are collected that are purchased out of state just a $33 application fee for the title.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use MARKEL insurance. Good company, I totaled an 01 Sportsman up in Alto, Tx when it was 6 months old and they paid enough to purchase another new Sportsman 500.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Haven't received the bike yet but did application for title and harris county doesn't collect sales tax on out if state sales so all I paid was 33 for title. Anyhow been shopping for insurance well progressive 920, geico 850, esurance 1250, markel 780. Wtf..
I think those quotes are waaaay high. My machine costs about $200 per year to fully insure through State Farm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JUSTICE
First thing to do is decide on what you want. Take your wife and go to a dealership and ride both models (touring and non-touring). Be sure to have them throw a seat on the (non-touring model) and see how your wife enjoys the ride. I have an 850 XP and I can tell you that it is a big big machine, I could not imagine having a bigger model.

Second, how often does your wife really ride with you, don't buy a 2 up for 4-6 rides a year.

Third, do you even need efi? I would not even want EFI unless I lived in a colder climate.

And last thing, check eBay and Craigslist... There are many of these units for sale used. I called on 9 of them and every singlr person but 1 was selling due to the fact they could not afford the payments, and one guy was getting married, oh and one was buying a new home (this is the guy that I purchased from)...

Let us know what you do.
Ok. I have narrowed down a little more. I have been shopping on Cragslist etc. but have not found anything that is reasonable, not to beat up or to far away to spend the time driving to "look" at an ATV.
I do not have a problem buying new. I'm more of a work for the money and not spend the time kind of guy. Also if I have issues it would be nice to be able to go to the dealer. A warenty on a $500 purchase sounds good to me.

On the EFI....Do I need it? No probably not but I do hunt in the fall and my current old 4-wheeler does take a bit to start when its 20 degrees out, but its older. Basically I have decied against the extra $500? for the EFI.

Anyway, I have got a quote on a new 2011 500 HO for $4900 + $30 title fee out the door from a place in ILL about 2 hours away. This is the best so far Also I have a quote of $6300 on a 2010 500 touring HO from a dealer in Missouri about 30 minutes away.
Here is where I am stuck. You are right about the wife but we do ride 2 up alot. Also I ride on private farms etc. No need for 2UP to be legal. We are trail, gravel road riders and not ditch riders. So basically I cannot decide if the 500 HO would be the way to go. Then I can spend some cash on a food plot plow, winch etc. I would like to keep my total around $6500 at the most. Taxes on $5000 in Missouri here is about $500.
Hmmmmm.....I just can't decide if the 2up is worth it or if the 500 HO is plenty for me. Remember, I am upgrading from a 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 already and it has been fine , less the 2WD. Thanks for your opinions and advice! It is helping!

·
Registered
188 Posts
JUSTICE

Let us know what you do.
Ok. I have narrowed down a little more. I have been shopping on Cragslist etc. but have not found anything that is reasonable, not to beat up or to far away to spend the time driving to "look" at an ATV.
I do not have a problem buying new. I'm more of a work for the money and not spend the time kind of guy. Also if I have issues it would be nice to be able to go to the dealer. A warenty on a $500 purchase sounds good to me.

On the EFI....Do I need it? No probably not but I do hunt in the fall and my current old 4-wheeler does take a bit to start when its 20 degrees out, but its older. Basically I have decied against the extra $500? for the EFI.

Anyway, I have got a quote on a new 2011 500 HO for $4900 + $30 title fee out the door from a place in ILL about 2 hours away. This is the best so far Also I have a quote of $6300 on a 2010 500 touring HO from a dealer in Missouri about 30 minutes away.
Here is where I am stuck. You are right about the wife but we do ride 2 up alot. Also I ride on private farms etc. No need for 2UP to be legal. We are trail, gravel road riders and not ditch riders. So basically I cannot decide if the 500 HO would be the way to go. Then I can spend some cash on a food plot plow, winch etc. I would like to keep my total around $6500 at the most. Taxes on $5000 in Missouri here is about $500.
Hmmmmm.....I just can't decide if the 2up is worth it or if the 500 HO is plenty for me. Remember, I am upgrading from a 2002 Yamaha Beartracker 250 already and it has been fine , less the 2WD. Thanks for your opinions and advice! It is helping!
I say go with the 500 HO non-touring. You can throw a $150 lock and ride box/seat on it whenever you and your wife ride. And the 500 will have pleanty of power to pull you around. Not to mention it will be better on gas. You know what you need to do, now go to Ill and get your new machine man, time is a wasting!

Now that we know what you are getting, let's see what else you can get out of them! So let's say you have 5k into this machine OTD. Tell them to

1. Throw in a Lock and Ride Box/Seat
2. Tell them you also want a 1 time purchase of any atv accesories at 10% above dealer cost

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here we go. I just got a quote from a dealer about an hour away on a 2011 550 XP-no EPS- OTD price of $6295. :rockwoot:Is this a good price? I think I am sold on this one. Small town dealer and low overhead = better price. I talked to the owner directly. No saleman. No bull. :rock:
The other 4 places I called were at least $500-$1000 more!

Now I need your thought on extended warrenties? Should I get it now or wait? I think you have 6 months to decide.
How long should I consider purchasing? 3 year? 5 year? Polaris' warrenty is only 6 months, correct?

Thoughts? Thanks all. Accessories are next!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts