Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a 2012 Sportsman 400HO and the dealer is 35 miles one way, so I am looking to do most of the maintenance myself. Where are you all getting all the necessary fluids and filters at? I thought I had seen (somewhere) complete kits that have all necessary fluids and filters for specific models?? Also, are most of you using Pure Polaris fluids, or should I go with something else? I am not too mechanically inclined (hell, I take my cars in for oil changes, but that is mostly because it is just easier for me), but looking at the manual, it all seems pretty straightforward. I imagine I need to buy a torque wrench as well? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
100 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Look around the internet you can find good deals. I do get stuff at the dealership from time to time. Sometimes their prices are not bad. I've found oil filters at the dealer are $20. but I'd found them at mfgsupply.com for $6.00.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm 75 miles away from the nearest dealer. So I keep my shop stocked with extra fluids.I use the Polaris fluids for the front hubs,diff,and tranny.I use Amsoil 0-40 with NAPA Gold filters.In the spring NAPA has a big sale and the oil filters are less than $5 a piece. Don't really need a torque wrench as the plugs aren't that tight. Hand tight is plenty. My oil filter is pretty easy to get to. Some newer models I hear are a pain.I got a Form-A-Funnel at NAPA that's really useful in keeping the oil headed to the drain pan, and not all over your frame/skidplates.Doing your own fluids is a good idea, as it gives you a chance to look everything over good and spot any problems before they get too big.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
another newbie question if you dont mind...what kind of oil filter wrench is needed...or is one needed at all? The filter is left side of the engine on the 2012 400HO...easy to get to with fingers

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I bought a small filter 'cup'? Cap? It fits over the end of the filter and you can snap a ratchet or an extension into it.I got it at NAPA. It was pretty cheap.He took a filter out and tried it to make sure it fit properly.Most of the time I can get mine to twist off by hand.The original filter ......must have been put on by King Kong or The Hulk! I had a hell of a time getting it to break loose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts