Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my first atv a few weeks ago, and now I need somewhere to ride and some people to ride with!! I'm in Colorado Springs, colorado. Need help!!!!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
806 Posts
You can start by looking at some maps on this site. Stay The Trail Colorado - Home The motor vehicle use maps (MVUM) at BLM/USFS offices. Those are the ones to use to stay legal. How far are you wanting to travel to ride? I'm south of springs with a bunch different trails 30 mins from my house. Welcome & enjoy riding!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I was in Pueblo Visiting my son last october and he took me to Texas Creek. Just west of Canon city. Was a nice ride. I know there are alot more scenic or challenginf trails in Colorado But being its in your back yard. Cant beat it. I cant wait to get back out there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Two things to try....First, see if you can locate an ATV club in your area. They are going to be friendly people and a very good source for trail info. Secondly, look at Charles Welles' website at FunTreks Guide Books and Electronic Trail Guides - FunTreks Guidebooks for Jeep Trails, 4 Wheel Drive Trails, and back country roads. He lives in Monument and has a very good series of books covering a lot of different trails in Colorado and several other states. And he or his son-in-law has personally ridden each trail in all of his books, so he writes from first hand knowledge.... Gary in Westcliffe

·
Super Moderator
7,048 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Lambo...To follow on with Fishhooker, if an MVUM is available for the National Forest area you are riding in (and they are for ALL Forest Service areas), make sure you get one and carry it with you. They are free from the Forest Service's offices. Call them and ask to have them mailed to you. If you get caught on a "closed" trail that is not marked on the ground, for what ever reason, the map is the "gospel" truth. The fines can run upwards to $5000 and 6 months in jail. You'd be better off robbing a bank!

Another thing, I'd like to recommend that you consider joining one of the organizations like COHVCO (Colorado Off Highway Vehicle Coalition) or the Blue Ribbon Coalition or others. They are constantly "standing in the breech" to help keep our trails open for riding, against the constant onslaught of the Enviro-wackos. My wife and I are members of COHVCO. Their website is Home - COHVCO

And finally, as a follow on to James.P, here is a link to photos I posted on Picasa web albums of a trip I made with the Royal Gorge ATV Club in March of 2011 to Texas Creek. As James said, it's a great riding area and has some beautiful scenery...https://picasaweb.google.com/whisperingpine1/TexasCreekRide32611#5588581661197403970

1 - 8 of 8 Posts