Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.... as the proud owner of 2 other Polaris ATVs, i just purchased a used 02 sportsman 500. Got a good deal....mainly because of a very jerky take-off issue and the previous owner knew nothing about its history (he was selling it to settle his fathers estate)....anyway, he said his father bought it new and only used it during hunting season.....The harsh jerking is in forward and reverse, low or high....Just wondering where i should start?...It has EBS....could this be an issue?...my other 2 rides take off as smooth as silk, so i know this cant be normal...Ideas?:ponder:

·
Registered
378 Posts
The Clutch is where to start. If its an 02', probably never had anything really done to it. This is where I would start. Ridinagain Is the Guru of Clutches ( and more ) in here so I am sure he will chime in........

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'd start looking at the belt/clutches. Pull the cover and see if the belt is due for replacement. If you can....jack it up and put it in gear and rev it up while you watch the action of the clutches. If you don't know anything about them YouTube has some very good videos on the subject. How many miles/hours are on the machine? Did he ever do any work to it that you know of?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I will bet a case of beer that the belt has flat spots on them. If it happens all the time I would think that would be your culprit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its showing about 1500 miles. The son knew nothing about it at all...only thing he said was that his dad only let the Polaris dealer work on it when ever it needed anything or service....He also said it hasnt been rode much at all in the last 2 years...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Any smell from the clutch housing? Burnt rubber? If it's been sitting it might be a good idea to check in there anyway. My brother let his Trail Boss sit for a while and mice built a nice nest inside the clutch housing!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Only takes two seconds in the wrong gear when stuck to hourglass a belt. It happens when the primary is spinning but the belt is not rotating so it wears a flat spot into the belt. The belt is supposed to be a constant width. The clutches both widen and narrow as the belt moves higher and lower. When the belt gets flat spots in it you will feel it because the clutch sheaves have a constant pressure outwards then the flat spot comes around and the belt is not as wide so the sheaves retract then have to widen out again right away. This is what you feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts