Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So back in Oct. I got a 19' 450. My first ATV. I am surprised I went that long without one. Now I moved to N Idaho and the riding here is nuts. 1000s of miles of trails.

Anyways. Since spending $15-$20K on a SXS is not an option.. I am having second thoughts on my 450. I think I am sensing it's lack of power. (I weight 180) and occasionally I like to take my wife (safely of course) we fit fine but in the end it's a 450 and we ride slow...so low rpms = less power. Of course hit it in a corner and seems ok. But...then.. I want cargo.. I want supplies. Maybe even a chainsaw (very nessesary up here....) and with just a few of those things I notice my 450 sagging. And steering takes a hit because of the balance.

Now of course a bigger machine is better but will I notice a major night and day difference if I go to a 800+? Not just power but stability and overall performance?

Is the 570 an option too? I picture my next atv to be "Bug Out Ready" lots of cargo and extra weight. Thx. Ohh. All without breaking the bank lol I think I'll sell my boat. I belong in the woods not the water.

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
Ok so yes if you go up in CC you'll feel the power difference. The XP line (850+1k) is more nimble. You will run into the issue with a 570 and a Touring for that matter, as you add more weight the springs just don't cut it. I have upgraded my 570-T springs to Highlifter HDs. One of the best mods you can do. So if you are ok with the 450s power and riding 2-up on it I would suggest getting a set of HD springs.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
My 16 year old was just complaining yesterday after riding my 570 w/HD springs that his 450 HO felt a little underpowered. I agree with bp405 about the Touring w/HD springs. Sounds like an Atv has become a bigger part of your life and a 1 up 450 HO isn’t going to cut it long term.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose that brings me to my next question...keep the 450 and change a few things out. Shocks/springs and add a few items...fix that annoying tick in the valve train...doubt it but so annoying. Wish there was a way to lower the gearing a tiny bit.

Maybe new nice tires, a winch and just deal with it?? I mean I'll probably be alone 7/10 rides. And it still is new...

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Doesn’t somebody hanging on to you annoy you while you drive? I don’t see how people do that, although many do!

·
Registered
2019 sportsman 570 2020 sportsman 850
205 Posts
New wheels aren’t going to give you the power and payload you desire. I’ve never been on a 450 but our 570 has a nice punch of torque down low. Of course the 850 is very nice and I got my base 850 for not much more than a base 570. What about give the wife the 450 and upgrading to a more powerful machine for yourself?

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
You have to be ok with the power!!! If you add tires your going to loose power just remember that. A clutch kit will help if you aren't happy but if it's not enough power to begin with you're SOL.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hmm... my 450 has no power issues. Plenty of juice, even for two people... and I'm over 250. I mean, if you're gonna carry a huge amount of gear, then maybe get a larger model.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Minimum I would at least go 25” tires(good to go with stock wheels and no tie rod rubbing) and HighLifter HD springs.

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
Yup stick with 25" if you don't want to buy rims. I'd go with 26" and rims personally. Get a set of HL HD springs and you will be one happy camper!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanksguys. So combined with the season and nice weather and the fact that places re opened...atvs are priced higher and going quick. Plus... 10K is alot of money lol.

Let's say I have $1200 give or take to upgrade my paid for 450 19' with 600 miles.

So I keep hearing new scrambler shocks...then I keep reading (in here too) get High Lifter springs in the rear. So keep my shock body but replace springs only? Will those springs sag at all or will they hold my shocks extended? My current ones take about a inch or 2 just sitting withno weight on the machine.

Then tires. 25/26 ok. Oh I want a winch.

Ok now two technical things... a clutch... my clutch now is fine but any new kits change the ratio at all? And lastly....that dang ticking sound. No it's not linkage and no it's not the intake. It's in the valve train. It changes after a long ride. Oil? Octane too low?? Loose parts inside? Sorry lots of rambling.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I had to go back and reread this thread, it’s been awhile. It really sounds to me like before you even think of mods you need to decide if the 450 will cut it. Just from everything I’ve read I still say a Touring 570 is what you might need. You sink $1200.00 into the 450 only to realize it’s not going to cut it. Been through N. Idaho, spectacular but some serious rugged country.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes very rugged ups and downs. Although 95% of trails are cut in the edges running along the canyons... I just would hate to get a 570 to find out the same too. Again. Tough market right now. No dealer within an hour (5 of them) have any left. Just used options that aren't an option. I really wouldlike private sale since I'll have cash. A 570 touring...how does that differ from a 570 (which I'm told is same as a 450 just with extra 70cc)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
“All without breaking the bank”. I say 570 Touring because of your comments in first post. My 16 year old has a 450 and is starting to gripe about power(tough). I have a 570 and I’m happy with power, but I never have a passenger. I think you’d be ok with a Touring 570 power-wise. You certainly couldn’t go wrong with an 850/1000 but again you said “All without breaking the bank”.
BTW-I don’t know what breaking the bank is to you, maybe an 850 won’t. In that case get an 850/1000, doesn’t hurt to have extra power.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well. Again. Market is sooo tough. I can't find any. But idk my 450 is so close to being fine. Of course no one complained about too much power (well besides my wife on a 200hp jet ski last week. Lol) so no wonder I say just get a bigger one but I really shouldn't. Plus I am riding alone most. Uhg lol plus spending extra $5K...(after selling the 450) for a 850 ..now thats something I may ask myself...was that worth it. I know... I'm a mess

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Look if your ok with the 450 I am. Again, in your first post you said your sensing a lack of power. It’s kinda like when your dating a girl and you start having second thoughts on her.... for me those thoughts never got better!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Funny thing is the 450 ho makes as much or more horsepower than the Sportsman 500 that was the standard for so long. I think a lot of us get caught up in the lower number and the "entry level" side of things. I rode several models, and purchased the 450 for several reasons. Rode it 39 miles last week through some nasty terrain, muddy areas, etc. and had no issues with power at all. And like I said, I'm not a little dude. Maybe check into the stiffer springs. I'm hearing a lot about them around the web.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I might be the odd opinion here BUT I used to have a 700 Sportsman. It was a brute and NEVER let me down. With that said it was too much machine for my small framed wife. She had a tough time smoothly accelerating and steering was tough. I sold that to buy a Ranger side by side and LOVE it. Last year I got a bug and worried if I ever got a deer down deep in my woods I couldn't get the Ranger in that deep without risking scraping it up. Answer was to buy a smaller/used ATV. I bought a 2004 400 Sportsman that has been a pleasure to drive around. The 400 maneuvers around my woods well and my wife can actually handle this one. So bigger isn't always better.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I might be the odd opinion here BUT I used to have a 700 Sportsman. It was a brute and NEVER let me down. With that said it was too much machine for my small framed wife. She had a tough time smoothly accelerating and steering was tough. I sold that to buy a Ranger side by side and LOVE it. Last year I got a bug and worried if I ever got a deer down deep in my woods I couldn't get the Ranger in that deep without risking scraping it up. Answer was to buy a smaller/used ATV. I bought a 2004 400 Sportsman that has been a pleasure to drive around. The 400 maneuvers around my woods well and my wife can actually handle this one. So bigger isn't always better.
View attachment 139523
OP has indicated he “senses a lack of power” in the 450. Also, he’s not talking about just his wife using machine, in fact he never even mentioned that. He did mention that he does ride 2-up on it with his wife. This discussion is not about an appropriate machine for his wife.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts