Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your opinion. I just gave mine and my experience in ATV's about going to a bigger ATV. You know what they say about opinions! I am sure my opinion was more appreciated than your last post. Just saying.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Thanks for your opinion. I just gave mine and my experience in ATV's about going to a bigger ATV. You know what they say about opinions! I am sure my opinion was more appreciated than your last post. Just saying.
Your post was about an appropriate Atv size for your wife!! What does that have to do with ANY of OP’s questions and why would OP appreciate your post more?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not just about my wife. You need to read slower.... I was saying how much more maneuverable the smaller ATV is over a bigger brute. So with the extra power comes weight, more weight the less maneuverable. These smaller ATV's have a nimbleness about them that is really something I appreciate.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I’m responding to OP’s question’s. “Nimbleness” was never a concern mentioned. Lack of power and suspension concerns were. Obviously I can read because I responded to the questions he posed. But thank you for letting us know your wife’s able to drive your 400.

·
Premium Member
9,833 Posts
I'm going to add here that the newer XP platform holding the 1000 version engine with EPS is the biggest and yet more nimble then the 400 of yester year. I am having a problem following the logic and the comment as well.

Reactions: Sprotsman

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So guys. Thanks for the good discussion. While I know ehat I wrote in my beginning post I wonder if I was saying that to help my argument (with myself not you guys). I just can't dump another 4K-6K into an ATV after I sell mine for $5K. My machine truly is fine for how little I use it..fine..or will be fine.. I will designate $1500 or so and do a few things to re vamp my interests. Yea power won't increase but it's fine. Heck I only ride 20 mph with my wife on the back. And when I do ride solo the machine is more than enough. I just really hate that ticking sound lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
2020 XP1000 vs. 2004 400
Identical length at 83”
XP1000 is about 3/8 narrower
XP1000 does weigh 84 lbs. more but
has more than double H.P.- 78/38.
Right on bp. There’s no question which is more nimble, if that was even in question!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
So guys. Thanks for the good discussion. While I know ehat I wrote in my beginning post I wonder if I was saying that to help my argument (with myself not you guys). I just can't dump another 4K-6K into an ATV after I sell mine for $5K. My machine truly is fine for how little I use it..fine..or will be fine.. I will designate $1500 or so and do a few things to re vamp my interests. Yea power won't increase but it's fine. Heck I only ride 20 mph with my wife on the back. And when I do ride solo the machine is more than enough. I just really hate that ticking sound lol
Like I said earlier bud, and I meant it, if your happy I’m good.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
186 Posts
I’ll offer my opinion: I have ridden the 450, 500 and 570. After waiting 15 years I finally was able to purchase my own 850SP. It is bigger and heavier, but between the engines unlimited power and power steering it feels more nimble than any other machine I’ve ridden. I can throw it into a turn with a power slide and instantly be hauling ass in another direction. It does not at all feel heavy when riding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
or maybe get off the forums for a bit... Seriously, nothing makes what you have look "inferior" in your own mind more than comparing it to what everyone else has in a place like this. There will ALWAYS be a bigger, faster, newer model out there. There will always be more accessories, tires, mods that you can do. A few of them actually make a difference, but honestly it is all designed to keep "feeding the monster" and keep us all spending money.

Ride what you have... Even the 450 HO (which I own) has more horsepower than the flagship machines of 10-15 years ago. You can go nearly anywhere on one. If you're just riding for enjoyment, ride it! If the machine you own will simply not do what you need it to do, then that's a whole different story. But it does not sound like you're hauling heavy payloads/trailers. Just have fun with what you have been blessed with!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
While getting off the forum might not do it but I know what you mean. Thanks for your blunt straight to the point response. I did decide to keep my 450. I sold my boat and if I sold my 450 I barely would have enough cash to buy new or even a year old of a 850....then..availability...hottest market around. All prices jacked up and none to be found...so that left me with reassessing my current 450. And my needs. I always told myself I won't be a speed demon anyways. But you are very correct- no matter the machine or size- someone will take your money and someone's machine will faster. But mines a 19' 700 miles and paid for. I think I'll use and abuse it. So far added my winch- which A week earlier would have been nice to have....long story. New sweet tires, and investigating a clutch kit or clutch springs. I'm looking to loose some top end and gain a little low end. But yes I know!! It's still only 500cc not like I expect it to turn into a 850. Thanks again.

·
Registered
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
186 Posts
Sounds like an awesome Plan! And another positive, you likely have 3 times the range my 850 does, it’s a huge gas hog!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It has crossed my mind!! I have gone 45 miles if I top it off before one bar goes away. And sooner after that. But I can get way over 100 out of each tank....

21 - 36 of 36 Posts