Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of, I am not sure how old the battery is, in 2011 I bought two 2001 sportsman 500HO's. I usually used the one to plow with and had no problems. This year a installed a brand new warn winch on the other and mounted the plow up to it. Both quads sit a lot and I occasionally charge them with a battery tender. Usually every month or so. Today after about 30 minutes of low speed plowing (all under 5mph) with lots of moving the plow up and down, the winch didn't have enough power sonu turned the quad off to see if the battery had enough power to start, it didn't. So then I pull started it, revved it for a bit, and it slowly pulled the winch up.

I put it on the battery tender now but I am trying to determine what brand battery to go with, and acid or gel?

Thanks! Also is there any easy way to check to make sure the quad is recharging the battery as it is supposed to? I have the manual but it looks like a pain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone ever thrived the Eklipse battery and alternator tester? You plug it in the 12v outlet and it has separate readings for the battery and charging system.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Check your battery voltage before you start with a multi-meter.

Start the motor and check it again. If it's not higher, it's not being properly charged. A good charging rate should be over 13v and better, close to 14v.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
i have bought my batteries from Battery Store - Top Discount Batteries, Phone Batteries & More at BatteryMart.com I just bought a Gel battery for my 500HO for 71.00 to my door....its made in USA....1 year warranty...I was tired of replacing the wal mart batteries every year....even when left on a tender...these are made by Deka
al53 that is a low price for a Gel battery for sure. How did you deal with the need for a special charging system required for most gel batteries.

The price is more in line with a Deka AGM ATV leak proof battery that works fine off of the OEM Polaris charging system.

Deka ETX16 Battery

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'm on my 3rd battery in 11 yrs. Bought it at the local NAPA for $65. With use of my battery tender I get 5 to 6 yrs out of them no problem.

·
Registered
526 Posts
A battery tender makes it easier on the starter too especially in cool to cold locations. The same ATV and battery in South TX might only see 2.5 - 3 years of life.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I'd recommend a "Good Sealed Cell" battery and a battery tender as well..... DO NOT get an el-cheap-o China-Mart "just add water" and charge battery. If plowing (or even using it for that matter) it will not last more than 3 months to a year, if your lucky! A good place to source a good sealed battery is at a local Farm / Fleet type store or an Automotive Parts store...... Interstate (Green Top) would be a good selection!! That's what my OEM's will be replaced with when they go.

EDIT & NOTE: A "Good" sealed cell battery will cost you somewhere in the neighborhood of $60-75. But when coupled with a battery tender..... will last you a good 3-5 years easy!!!

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I am in my second winter on my battery. Gonna price an odyssey battery.

Need one for the tractor too.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I think that is about as good as one can do for an ATV for most of us.

The Gel types are not designed to work with our factory charging system. The old Flooded Lead Acid batteries are the cheapest but leave behind rust and corrosion.

The new Lithium based are interesting to me but do not know how they will stand up over time compared to say the AGM or ever the shorter life FLA batteries.

The all or nothing (they go from working well to total ZERO output) of the Lithium technology means you can be riding along and it just goes dead. Even if you have a pull rope machine you are still dead in the water so to speak. If after dark you will have head lights and a running machine then BAM you are dead with NO lights.

We got the old steel work bench cleaned up yesterday and with the help of the backhoe moved into the old garage we are going to use this winter redoing our two 325 Magnum engines. When it was used at the B&S plant they had four upright pieces of angle welded to each corner of the 1/4" plate top. The son grabbed the Lithium sawsall because it was handy over the corded one and it was running fine then it was dead and would not restart because the computer in the battery shut it down. The cool part with two batteries in 20 minutes your are recharged. :)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
My last battery was an Interstate..was not happy..not like they use to be....but you never know..I my have gotten a bad one...the new AGM I got from Battery mart has been starting me in single digit weather now problem....its a Super crank made by Dreka...I have a Schumacher battery maintainer now that works great..but I am going to get another one by CTEK the 7002 model...it has a Patented desulphation function..which will help ..Amazon has them for 99.00 shipped...great price....My Quads are outside under cover...so its cold ....

·
Registered
434 Posts
id recommend an AGM battery they have the lowest discharge rate when not in use of gel or FLA i have one in both of my quads and am very pleased with them

1 - 18 of 18 Posts