Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I just brought my 2012 850 touring home this week. It has just over 300miles and about 44 hours on it. They were very hard miles though and I want to get ready to do its first maintenance to it before I take it to live at my lake home. What do you all suggest I should do to it before I ride it? Anything not obvious or on the 50 hour service list that I should check? ATV's are completely new to me. It's been double digits below zero F since I bought it and haven't really had the chance to even familiarize myself with it.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
If you know it's had hard miles. I'd do all the drive train fluids and go over all the grease fittings.

what kind of hard miles were they? plowing? pulling? or just ridden hard and put away wet?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what kind of hard miles were they? plowing? pulling? or just ridden hard and put away wet?
Thanks...which grease is appropriate? I've got marine, high temp and low temp. It was used as a demo follow vehicle. Basically the machine would follow a Can Am 1000 around while BRP demo'ed their machine so customers could see how the two stack up against each other. A sales person would ride the Polaris while a customer would ride the Can Am and their would be a factory BRP rep on another Can Am following the Polaris. The rides were slow but guessing they were punishing maybe 10 miles at a time. The machine would get trucked all over the country doing these demos. It got an oil change and that was all the maintenance it received as I understand. I think then I would classify it as ridden hard and put away wet. Really an odd scenario, but I need a 2 up, there are few to any newer ones this big used around me and the price was right.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I too would personally change all the drive line fluids (front diff, rear tranny/diff and engine) and all filters (engine oil & air filter). That way you have a base to start your own mantenance schedule from!!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I too would personally change all the drive line fluids (front diff, rear tranny/diff and engine) and all filters (engine oil & air filter). That way you have a base to start your own mantenance schedule from!!
I see there is a fluid change kit on Ebay that has what look like all the fluids except coolant plus has an oil filter. I think it was $120. Are all the fluids simple gravity drain and fill or do any require a pump? Are all of the fluid change procedures straight forward for a brand new owner or are any tricky? I downloaded the closes manual I could find being the 2009 850 xp version.

One thing that has bothered me when I picked the machine up the coolant bottle showed half way between the slashes which to me seemed right where you'd want it. I brought it home, drove it around the block twice and the next day I noticed the coolant bottle showed a bit under the minimum fill level when sitting in the garage. There isn't any coolant in the oil and no leaks on the garage floor so not sure what that is about. It's been double digits below zero farenheight but not sure if that matters. This machine looks infinitely more complicated than my 2-stroke snowmobiles.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
All gravity fed and fill. Use marine grease if you have it but all will work. I would do all the fluids. My regimen would be: Mobil 0-40 full synthetic in motor, Wix Filter, Polaris Demand drive in front diff, Rear diff with synthetic 75-90 gear lube. The tranny you can use 5-20 synthetic oil or the Polaris stuff.

My coolant level will go up and down a bit. I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
sounds like the coolant level was checked at different temps to me. Coolant is supposed to be checked when the engine is warm. not cold as the fluid will expand and contract with the temp changes both in the engine, and ambient temps outside.

Marine grade grease.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like the coolant level was checked at different temps to me. Coolant is supposed to be checked when the engine is warm. not cold as the fluid will expand and contract with the temp changes both in the engine, and ambient temps outside.

Marine grade grease.
Yes, the machine had been run earlier before I arrived (but wasn't warm any longer) to view it and also was stored and sitting in a heated facility. I bought it home to my unheated garage where the temps in the garage were probably at the highest 0 Farenheight where I noticed it the next day.
I have those 'just bought a used vehicle and even worse a used ATV' jitters.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
One other thing you want to get..A battery maintainer....when ATV not in use plug it in....save you headaches down the road later..plus make your current battery last much longer....

when I run my machine,,I wait till I hear the fan cut in....then I check coolant and oil...I know its at operation temps....

and like said..marine grease is great to use....stays in place alot better than reg grease....

Also get some Marine sta-bil to put in gas...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One other thing you want to get..A battery maintainer....when ATV not in use plug it in....save you headaches down the road later..plus make your current battery last much longer....

when I run my machine,,I wait till I hear the fan cut in....then I check coolant and oil...I know its at operation temps....

and like said..marine grease is great to use....stays in place alot better than reg grease....

Good suggestions everyone.
I learned my lesson when I bought a brand new battery for one of my sleds literally drove around the yard, forgot to maintain it all summer and it was totally shot by winter. That was a hundred bucks down the drain at the beginning of this season. This machine will sit in the garage at the cabin and only get used on the weekends in the summer.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts

Thats fine for checking the coolant, but when checking the oil the motor should be cold and not have been running for a bit. If you check it hot the oil is all over and not in the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
yes sorry..forgot the newer ones are wet sump..mine is a dry sump

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So correct me here...it looks like the ADC fluid calls for suctioning it out from the reservoir to remove the fluid? Is that right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts