Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Polaris PS4 Plus

Votes: 25 30.1%

• Total voters
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,022 Posts
LOL! To each his own but it makes me laugh to consider that we spend many thousands of dollars to buy and modify these machines, and yet we cringe at the thought of spending literally a couple extra dollars per oil change for PS4. :)

Are we that cheap...or is it that we just don't like being told what to do? :nixweiss:

Stew
And there it is. I think someone finally answered the question......!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
mostly just question the quality of ps4 probably made by the same company that produces the 85 cents per quart dollar store oil.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I saw a post about 3 years ago from a truck driver that stated, and he posted where polaris oil came from. and the post was deleted fairly quick.I cant remember where he said but polaris isnt in the business of making oil,but I still use all polaris oil on my newwer toys just for no hassle with warranty. at 6800km lost the trans out of my 850 xp due to abbuse, the dealer looked up my invoices for oil purches and faxxed them to ext warranty and they coverd me for a new trans so I mind the price of a oil change kit at $32.00 a bike,just my opinion

·
Registered
497 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic in all 3 of my Polaris machines as well as my other 4 wheelers and my wet clutch motorcycles. I run it in everything I own from my diesel pickup to my lawn mower. It is a diesel grade oil and has the additives to handle the 30000 (or some ungodly number like that) PSI to fire the injectors in my truck as well as the molecular make up to handle the thrashing that motorcycle gears can dish out when the engine and transmission share oil in a wet clutch set up. I have been running it for years with no problems and were I live I see temperatures from 60 below to 95 above. It is $19.50 a gallon at Wal Mart. Thats less than $5 a quart and with all the things I have to change oil in every year it saves me hundreds of dollars a year. I always keep 4 or 5 gallons on the shelf.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Heard somewhere that Mobil made polaris's oil.
Polaris oil is bottle for them by a private label blender out of Minnesota called Lubetech. I have the link to where Polaris states this somewhere but I have posted it before. Mobil 1 does not make it. Many years ago AMSOIL actually made 2-stroke oil for Polaris but that was back in the early 90's but Polaris went for a cheaper source.

here look for yourself..http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/OurCompany/News/PressReleases/Pages/StrongSponsorsFueltheSuccessofPolarisSnowmobileRacingProgram.aspx
Lube-Tech – www.lube-tech.com
Lube-Tech is a leading supplier of lubricants, solvents and chemicals for numerous applications. Lube-Tech blends Polaris Performance Lubricants to exacting Polaris specifications and also provides the Polaris Racing program with products such as race fuel, shop cleaners and solvents.
Since 1993, OEMs in the power-sports, marine, lawn & garden and heavy-equipment markets, have turned to us to develop their custom lubricants and other chemicals. We know small engines and we know what it takes to maximize their performance and keep them running, even under the toughest conditions. As your partner, we’ll take care of everything from concept and product development, to blending, testing, packaging, marketing, warehousing and shipping, throughout your product’s life-cycle. We blend raw materials in-house and package everything on-site, for the highest quality and lowest cost.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hmmm, cheaper cost higher margins....depending upon how old the link is might not be able to tell if they still make it for Polaris

·
Registered
35 Posts
someone posted a similar thread then i came across this one from google while checking to see who makes polaris oil. anyone out there try mobil1 vtwin? its 20w50 and has good anti-corrosion. not much cheaper than polaris but may be better. i bought the b.s and switched my harley to all amsoil last season and not only was it no cooler running but the trans is noisier and shifts harder than when i had all mobil1 products in it. back to mobil1 for me.

·
Registered
919 Posts
someone posted a similar thread then i came across this one from google while checking to see who makes polaris oil. anyone out there try mobil1 vtwin? its 20w50 and has good anti-corrosion. not much cheaper than polaris but may be better. i bought the b.s and switched my harley to all amsoil last season and not only was it no cooler running but the trans is noisier and shifts harder than when i had all mobil1 products in it. back to mobil1 for me.
20W50 is too thick on the cold end and will have trouble getting to the top end of your engine when cold.

Too thin, too thick? What is this, Goldilocks and the three bears? :)

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
You run that in the Polaris Transmissions?

I run Shell Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic in all 3 of my Polaris machines as well as my other 4 wheelers and my wet clutch motorcycles. I run it in everything I own from my diesel pickup to my lawn mower. It is a diesel grade oil and has the additives to handle the 30000 (or some ungodly number like that) PSI to fire the injectors in my truck as well as the molecular make up to handle the thrashing that motorcycle gears can dish out when the engine and transmission share oil in a wet clutch set up. I have been running it for years with no problems and were I live I see temperatures from 60 below to 95 above. It is $19.50 a gallon at Wal Mart. Thats less than $5 a quart and with all the things I have to change oil in every year it saves me hundreds of dollars a year. I always keep 4 or 5 gallons on the shelf.

·
Registered
603 Posts
You run that in the Polaris Transmissions?

I have run that oil in my machines before, I also run that in my diesel truck. I would run that in my xp tranny too. Right now I have a amsoil 15w40 in the tranny now. Been in there since my gear change(3000km's ago), other than a oil change a season. I am currently running the PS4 oil in my xp engine and rzr engine and my generators. Its a little more expensive, but I know its a very good oil with good additives. The only other oil I would run in any of my machines or their tranny's is a synthetic diesel oil to get the high pressure additives these machines need.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know who makes Polaris branded oils, but these oils are usually contracted out to major oil companies with a certain specification. When I worked for Imperial Oil (Esso) here in Canada I visited the Strathcona Refinery. Many of the oils you get at your local dealer were made here. Chrysler, GMC, Toyota, John Deere and even other competing fuel dealers like UFA (United Farmers Association) were made there. I don't know how it works in the USA, but I do know they do not make their own. It is like many parts that go into making the machine: a standard is established, it's put out for tender, and whoever can deliver on this (usually the cheapest) gets the contract. So I feel confident using their PS4 in my machine. I get the kit cheap, and my dealer is very accomodating. It's always in stock and they always have Tim Horton's coffee and donuts on hand so I get a treat!

I know this doesn't mean much, but honestly, any oil listed above would be great. I think it's just a matter of which would be the most convenient for you. In my case, it's Polaris. In yours.........only you can say. You won't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't know who makes Polaris branded oils, but these oils are usually contracted out to major oil companies with a certain specification. When I worked for Imperial Oil (Esso) here in Canada I visited the Strathcona Refinery. Many of the oils you get at your local dealer were made here. Chrysler, GMC, Toyota, John Deere and even other competing fuel dealers like UFA (United Farmers Association) were made there. I don't know how it works in the USA, but I do know they do not make their own. It is like many parts that go into making the machine: a standard is established, it's put out for tender, and whoever can deliver on this (usually the cheapest) gets the contract. So I feel confident using their PS4 in my machine. I get the kit cheap, and my dealer is very accomodating. It's always in stock and they always have Tim Horton's coffee and donuts on hand so I get a treat!

I know this doesn't mean much, but honestly, any oil listed above would be great. I think it's just a matter of which would be the most convenient for you. In my case, it's Polaris. In yours.........only you can say. You won't go wrong with any of them.
Wow. I wish there was a Timmy's in Cycle works south. I'd be there more often. Lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
the irony is the same company who makes Mobil 1 0w-40 also makes Polaris PS4 Plus... i never knew until i started digging some .. lubrication technology inc
so glad i buy Mobil for 6 a quart compared to polaris for 10 a quart here

·
Registered
116 Posts
the irony is the same company who makes Mobil 1 0w-40 also makes Polaris PS4 Plus... i never knew until i started digging some .. lubrication technology inc
so glad i buy Mobil for 6 a quart compared to polaris for 10 a quart here
You are half right. Lube Tech makes PS4 but the do not make Mobil 1 0W-40 or any other Mobil product. Lube Tech does not own any oil refineries, Exxon-Mobil does.

Lube tech is a private label oil blender in Minnesota (1/100th the size of Mobil) who will custom blend an oil with your name on the label. Not only will they blend the oil, but they will design the bottles, blend, package, warehouse and distribute the products to your dealers. All the OEM has to do is set price.

They are also distributors of other oils like Mobil (and others) BUT they do not make oil for Mobil.

If you’re an OEM looking to increase customer satisfaction and your profits, use the
power of your established brand to boost your bottom line. Let Lube-Tech experts
show you how.
http://www.lubetech.com/brand-building

21 - 39 of 39 Posts