Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What brand of oil are most of you all using in your Polaris Sportsman? I used Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic (blue jug) in my 2008 Arctic Cat 650 H1 when I had it. Also used a WIX oil filter. I use the Rotella 15w-40 and WIX oil filters for my Suzuki Eiger 400 also. The Rotella is JASO MA approved oil for motorcycles and ATV's. Seeing that Polaris has it's own separate transmission I was just wondering if it's ok to use other brands of oil besides the Polaris brand recommended oil.

Tony

·
9,429 Posts
Either of those oils will be fine for the engine according to ambient air temps. I've used Mobil 1 0w-40 full synth for many years with good results. Your tranny needs chaincase lube.

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
In engines that do not have oil bath clutches, any oil will work - JASO rated, API S (gas engines) or C (diesel engines) - the only recommendation I adhere to is to use the type of oil recommended by the manufacturer of the engine. If the mfg. recommends synthetic, use synthetic - if mineral oil is recommended, you can use synthetic after break in, but the engine may use more oil - as to break-in? If broken-in on synthetic oil, break-in will take about 4 time s longer than on mineral oil, but the engine will last longer and oil changes need not be as frequent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts