Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a co worker looking at an ATV, already has a 2013 white 500

But which one:
A 2004 500HO with plow and 1000 miles for $3700
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 Winch/Plow/Warmers Low Miles

Or 2004 700 with plow 1500 miles for $4150 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 with plow
(back tires appear to be on backwards, wonder if it is for traction while plowing)

Both look in decent shape and I told him the 500 will have better gas mileage but I have no clue about that year 700, I just know my 05 Carb 700 really sucked the gas and blew out the upper front Cv boots all the time (the protecters seem to stab into them whenever the front end came off the ground)

Any one else have feedback on why to get either? again I told him 500 (biased as that is what I had in the past) and it will get better mileage and still has good power

Side note, the guy is a good mechanic and is just now switching from Mud trucks to ATV's and is a non mudder now as he knows what that does to them...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Got a co worker looking at an ATV, already has a 2013 white 500

But which one:
A 2004 500HO with plow and 1000 miles for $3700
2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 4x4 Winch/Plow/Warmers Low Miles

Or 2004 700 with plow 1500 miles for $4150 2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 with plow
(back tires appear to be on backwards, wonder if it is for traction while plowing)

Both look in decent shape and I told him the 500 will have better gas mileage but I have no clue about that year 700, I just know my 05 Carb 700 really sucked the gas and blew out the upper front Cv boots all the time (the protecters seem to stab into them whenever the front end came off the ground)

Any one else have feedback on why to get either? again I told him 500 (biased as that is what I had in the past) and it will get better mileage and still has good power

Side note, the guy is a good mechanic and is just now switching from Mud trucks to ATV's and is a non mudder now as he knows what that does to them...
I would check them both out, but I would verify the awd works on the 700. Based on the tracks in the driveway showing bare pavement, that rear wheel was spinning fast to dig down through the snow

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would look at both, but keep your eye open for a newer one with EFI. I don't know what your buddies budget is but I would keep looking. In this case I'd look into the 700 but that's just because I think bigger is better.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The worse fuel mileage, more weight and many more problems the 700s have is not worth the small gain in acceleration over a 500. I would go with the 500 for sure.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well he went with a very clean low mileage 06 800 efi for $4,900 out the door, I was hammering the bad fuel economy of the 700 twin carb to him and then he test drove the 700 and he saw a lot of issues, and it kept dieing, so he said hell no to that and listened to me and found a decent deal... Personally I would have spent a little extra coin and gotten a new/newer one for not a ton more, but the one he got is nice and you can tell been taken care of.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
for $4900, i might have just tried to take out a small loan on a 570 and be done with it.

as long as he is happy though, thats what counts!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He does have a loan on the 2013 500 they got last year, he recently got gift money from his folks so he wanted to pay cash for this one and not have 2 loans to make payments on...

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
i guess i cant blame him. not that the 800's are bad machines. the thought of used scares me with these things, unless you know the person.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with Ronin. If your just normal trail ridin your not in a race. So the extra power is not needed. My atv mechanic told me the 500cc family is the best. It'll do anything the big bores will do but don't wear out the parts like the big ones. Due to far less weight. I'd go smaller

·
Registered
376 Posts
700 has a slight gain in accell over a 500?.....you f'n nut's, power is twice as much, the smoothness of a twin over that shake your teeth at idle single is HUGE!!
Also the prices for those 2004's is way too much, $4100???, thats the price of a new 400 leftover

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get a NEW 500HO its the proven machine...or offer 3000 on the '04 if its mint cond.

The 700 has a few issues with the twin, uses alot more gas, and wont do a thing the 500HO wont do! The 500 is a much more proven reliable machine with more than enough power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts