Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy my first quad and am wondering which one to go with? (or neither).

2006 Sportsman 700 EFI with 249 miles, mint condition, no plowing, no mud, stored inside.

2010 Sportsman 500 HO with 127 miles, sporty upgraded wheels, and mint condition.

I have talked with both parties and the lowest they will go is $4250.

·
Registered
619 Posts
tough choice. 7yr old vs 3yr old... EFI vs Carb... 700 vs 500...

Idk. if it was apples and apples age-wise, it would be an easy decision to go w/ the 700 EFI, but since the price is identical, I'm leaning towards the newer machine.. Too bad he wont come down a little on the 700. Good luck. If the 500 has upgraded tires, I think that would tip the scales for me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been looking for a good low mileage machine for quite some time and just have not pulled the trigger yet. I flip-flop back and forth between power, efi, older, and carb and newer. Just looking for advice before I jump in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 12 500 ho 2up. my first machine. I have the 60" blade for snow and it doesn't breath at all pushing it. I've had it going 50mph. I really can't see what more you could want power wise. I'm 54 yrs old but I jump on it once in a while. They are both brand new in my eyes. Take your pick.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I like the idea of EFI.

I notice you said the 700 had seen no mud...How 'bout the 500?
The 700 was stored indoors, how 'bout the 500?
If the 500 was kept outside or has been in the mud, then I can tell you the 700 is my pick.

Year, efi, nor HP are as big of a deal with a used machine, as how well it was cared for and maintained. JMO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
54 as well but really getting close 55. ( Still young at heart though) I am leaning towards the 500 HO but a little concerned that it is not EFI. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you are 54, I think you should pony up a couple more thousand and get the 570 with power steering, or look for a used 550 with eps.. I would definitely go efi too.. just my opinions... so of the machines you list, I like the power and efi on the 700.. but the 500 is newer and will be easy on the gas... tough choice for you lol

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 850 is only the second machine I have owned that has EFI...Never had much trouble with a carb.
If you like the 500 better, I would not let the carb be a deal breaker...JMO

I don't think there is a wrong choice...The good ol' 500 reliability is nice too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the advice people. It's getting clearer in my mind, but would like to hear from others also. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,342 Posts
Brand new 800 for 2G more. At least that's what I did when I was doing the debate.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
729 Posts
What lolygagger said , and also for a few more hundred you could get a brand new Polaris 400. Not a whole Lotta Difference between the 400 and 500
Brand new 400's sale for $4900 in my area. Just a few HP less but the same machine.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Driven the new 400's and I honestly can barely tell the difference between them and my 500. Maybe a little more low end oomph on the 500 but not much. Id say heck with both used and get a new 400.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
500! It's newer and they are a proven machine. Also might want to consider the gas mileage. 500 will get better mpg than the 700. 500 also has pull start if the battery dies on you or gets low.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think the 500 is it. Now, all I have to do is get the owner to reply to me. It has not been the smoothest. I will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
power steering would be nice but not a must. It's a little tough turning going slow in tight places. having to choke the carb when it's real cold isn't an issue like I thought it would.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts