Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here I, am 60 years old, thinking about getting either a 2013 500 Ho sportsmen or a 570 EFI 2014 sportsmen. What do you think I should get?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Get the 550 EPS or 850 EPS XP. Your back and bones will thank you for it. you will enjoy riding a lot more.

·
Premium Member
11,975 Posts
Hello Dennis. Awesome to hear your in the market for a polaris atv. There is a thread in "atv purchasing and price" titled "570 vs 550xp", start there to get a little more informed. The reason I'm suggesting that thread is because both of those particular atv's have power steering available on them. The 500 is a great machine, the best selling utility quad of all time but doesn't come with power steering. As of 2013 the sportsman 500 has been discontinued. The replacement is the sportsman 570.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
If I was in the market for a 500 class machine, it would definitely be the 570 with power steering. Best thing for you to do is test ride one of each and see which one fits you best. It's tough to appreciate the EPS just riding around the dealership, but it makes a world of difference during a day of riding.

PS Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
thanks all don't know about electronic vs carb (you know old age thing, nothing new is good)
I hear you there DennisLun. When I get up in the morning I light a few candles and head out side to the well to bring in some water. Then its out to the Model T to wind up the crank to start it up. Have to get out to the wilderness to hunt me some dinner. Just don't think this whole supermarket thing is just a fad. :)

In all seriousness the EFI is actually very reliable. It starts when its cold and does not need to be cleaned. I have two quads with EFI and they work well. I have a 20 year old Artic Cat with it and it starts two pulls every time.

Which one you buy is up to you but I would insist on EPS. Its the bee's knee's as the old people say. Oh and welcome, this is a great forum.

·
Registered
595 Posts
One nice thing about carb is you can use the pull start if the battery goes dead, but if you ride at a lot of different altitudes EFI is great.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Only thing is that none of them have pull starts anymore.

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
You will enjoy the much easier starting of FI.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm pushing 50 and just got a 500HO 2013 and I couldnt be happier, does everything I need. I'm a carb fan as it keeps things simple. The price of the 500HO right now is too attractive to look at a 14, at almost 3500-4000 cheaper I'll take the 500 til I'm ready to change it out, by then the other models will be less and it will be time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts