Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Model polaris used is best to buy?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy from Montana,

I have been looking at different used Polaris atv models to buy with winches and snow plows for sale. What models are the most dependable , as there are so many models available from 400's to 850's.
I plan on plowing snow using for hunting, maybe packing an elk on machine, using to spray & pull small trailer in summer around home on 2 acres.
Another question I have is how many miles can you get on a tank of gas on these atv's. My old 94 sportsman 400 was fast but it would only go about 45 miles to a tank of gas. Are the 800 models thirstier than say like the 500's?
Also is 2,000 miles a lot of miles for these machines? How long should they last with good care?

·
Registered
422 Posts
The 500's seem to be most reliable. For good reason they've been the flagship of Polaris for quite sometime

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
In general, the one that's been abused the least and maintained the best weigh as low of miles as you can afford to buy. Reliability on them all is very similar in my experience.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
It really depends on what you want to spend.... I personally would find at least a 2005 or newer model, for driveline and AWD reasons. The lower the hours & miles and cleaner the machine the better..... it's been taken care of.

For me, another dead give away to the condition of the machine is how the guy keeps his garage and yard organized and presented. If it's a disaster run away, as he doesn't care about his stuff and it likely hasn't seen all the maintenance it should have.

Best thing to do is test drive a couple and compare them..... "the machines will speak for themselves" and you'll "just know" when you've found the right one for you!

To answer your 800 question..... Yes, the 800 is a thirsty machine!! I'll get 65-70 miles on a tank of fuel with mine, before the fuel light comes on. It also will have more then enough power for what you'll be throwing at it! The 500 will do the same... just have less power (low range needed for sure) and get a little better gas mileage. But don't get me wrong here.... as it too will have more then enough power for your chores and tasks (for surely in low range). Where the 800 has (and I use) low range, but it'll still do most anything I've asked it to do (plow) in high range too.... just harder on the belt.

On the trails my wife's 400 will do "almost" everything my 800 will do.... the 800 is just a little snappier doing it.

The value line is a proven and reliable platform..... and so is the XP line. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

But what it really boils down to which you feel more comforitable on and want to spend to obtain it!!

Good Luck...... we're hear to help and offer advise. If you find one you like, post up the link. Pictures are worth 1000 words, and the experianced members here can spot most anything that is "out of place". However the mechanics / test ride end is up to you...... Just remember "You'll Know", one way or the other!!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would look at the sportsman X2 if I was you. They come in engine sizes from 500-850. Turf mode, to not tear up your yard as bad. Has a truck bed for hauling, that can convert to a rear seat for 2-up riding. Can't beat it for a work ATV. I have used my 500 with me, my wife, our hunting gear, and a dead hog in it with no problem coming 4.5 miles out of the woods. That is probably close to 700 lbs on it.

Sean

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
A 500 will make you a great machine. I plow, hunt, pull a small trailer, never need more power. I can also go over 100 miles on a tank of gas. Can't do that with a big 800/850 quad.
They last if you take care of them. One of the guys at Montana Jacks has over 10,000 miles on his '02.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 02 500 has over 13,000 miles and not many issues.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
With the 570's coming out, there are super deals on leftover 500's. That's what I would look for if I were the OP

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
If you buy used go 500 and yes there are some steals right now on new ones. I saw white 500's in East Texas going for $4995.00 about a month ago. They sold out in a hurry.

Ronnie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts