Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to weigh the pros & cons of 12" vs 14" rims for my 2012 SP 500... was thinking of 26" Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 mounted on STI HD Beadlocks. Help me out here, guys!

·
Super Moderator
7,036 Posts
12"12"12"12"12"12"12"12"12"!!!! Did I mention that 12" wheels are better? Plenty of threads on here about this topic, as well as the reasons behind it. Here is a $168 example of why 14" wheels SUCK!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Bob, I think the 12" makes that more possible, not less. A 14" would actually have a smaller sidewall and be less prone to being hit and damaged than a 12" wheel would in the same size tire. But the 12" having more side wall will have more flex and a softer ride in general. Nice work on the plug!

·
Super Moderator
7,036 Posts
Bob, I think the 12" makes that more possible, not less. A 14" would actually have a smaller sidewall and be less prone to being hit and damaged than a 12" wheel would in the same size tire. But the 12" having more side wall will have more flex and a softer ride in general. Nice work on the plug!
Negative on the 12" making that more possible. The lack of sidewall on the 14's equals lack of protection from pinching the sidewall with the wheel. This was a result of the wheel pinching the sidewall against a rock. A nice clean cut right at the bead, and the upper cut also looked like it had been cut with a knife. The only cure is running high tire pressure, in the 8 to 10 psi range, which in return rides like crap. This was actually the second time this has happened. The first time only took three plugs to get me back to the truck. It only cut that one right at the bead. I have never damaged a 12" tire while riding all the same trails. 5 psi, great ride and no problems. What's not to like about a 12" wheel and tire??? BTW, there are seven plugs in the tire pictured. I was about 6 rough miles from the truck when it happened.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That makes sense on the pinch. I was thinking just rubbing sidewall on a sharp object or something poking through it. More sidewall would be more susceptible to getting hit. Guess we can't win either way. LOL

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Not a fan of the 14's on my 850 either

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
15's are where its at.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
More sidewall makes it easier to have the bead come off, I wish highlifter would wake up and use bigger rims on their big tires.
I wish my 31s used 18in rims. Helps to keep tire weight down as well.
Other tire co.s are starting to do it, Sti uses 15 and 17s, superatv 16s, msa makes up to 18s now.
Less sidewall is better for high speeds as well.

Depends how and what terrain you ride, Some guys exaggerate though, we are not driving old atc's where the tire is the only suspension anymore.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
For fast trail riding I'll take my 14s all day long, less tire roll in hard corners and a more connected feeling with the terrain. For slow speed crawling and normal trail riding I'd take 12s for sidewall flex and comfort...it all depends what and where you ride. Some guys on here assume everybody does the same style of riding they do and push what they use, its up to you to find out the pro's and con's of each size and apply that info to your riding area and style.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
On green and blue trails we r flying, on blacks and double blacks a lot of it is much slower and technical and 99% of the time rocky. We don't ride fire roads or pavement unless we have to in order to get to next trail head. As such, we have had at least 3 times more pinch flats with 14's vs 12's. Flatted tires include roctanes and og bighorns (so pretty durable tires). 14's have to be aired up 8-10lbs, 12's I ran 4-5. This is over the course of about 2000 miles in West Virginia....for those trails, 14's suck

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
More sidewall makes it easier to have the bead come off, I wish highlifter would wake up and use bigger rims on their big tires.
I wish my 31s used 18in rims. Helps to keep tire weight down as well.
Other tire co.s are starting to do it, Sti uses 15 and 17s, superatv 16s, msa makes up to 18s now.
Less sidewall is better for high speeds as well.

Depends how and what terrain you ride, Some guys exaggerate though, we are not driving old atc's where the tire is the only suspension anymore.
Some people dont like the 'Compton Cruiser' look PERIOD, Less sidewall rides like crap, also less load carrying capacity, and looks horrible.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I like my 14s.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Jack how are your zilla's holding up? Just got a set for the 500 and 300 haven't had much seat time with either of them yet...

·
Registered
978 Posts
Jack how are your zilla's holding up? Just got a set for the 500 and 300 haven't had much seat time with either of them yet...
I love em. Great ride and agressive enough to get me out of most my situations i put myself in lol. Pretty smooth ride to for how much thread they got

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I love em. Great ride and agressive enough to get me out of most my situations i put myself in lol. Pretty smooth ride to for how much thread they got
Good to hear, thanks bro !

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
On green and blue trails we r flying, on blacks and double blacks a lot of it is much slower and technical and 99% of the time rocky. We don't ride fire roads or pavement unless we have to in order to get to next trail head. As such, we have had at least 3 times more pinch flats with 14's vs 12's. Flatted tires include roctanes and og bighorns (so pretty durable tires). 14's have to be aired up 8-10lbs, 12's I ran 4-5. This is over the course of about 2000 miles in West Virginia....for those trails, 14's suck
Yup, different strokes for different folks...in my area pinching a sidewall is not a concern at all as we don't have rocks. I need the quad to turn when I hit a corner, not wallow over on a soft sidewall then start turning...my trails are 50" max and the trees are pretty close so any delay from when I turn the bars to when my quad actually starts to turn is not good. As for air pressure I run 6-7psi in my HTRs and they handle like a dream, but the sidewalls are really stiff on the HTRs so that probably helps a bit also.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
It's simple, the general rule of thumb is to have ur tire to rim ratio 2 to 1. So if ur running 14" rims ur tires should be 28 inches in diameter. So I'm running 26" BH 2.0's which are 26.75" tall on the bike @5psi that equates to a 1.91 to 1 ratio. My set-up works well for the diverse terrain that I ride in. I have had 1 pinch flat in 1500 miles on my tires that i plugged 400 miles ago and is still holding fine. I'm also willing to bet most damaged tires are due to user error, I know my one pinch flat was. I will also be going to a 27" or 28" tire next go around mostly for clearance but also so I can compare the advantages of each diameter tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts