Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time offroad motorcyclist (enduro and harescramble). I'm looking for a utility ATV primarily for trail and just fun riding. I originally was looking at the 500 HO but decided it may not be enough power. I am currently comparing the Sportsman 800 efi (new), Sportsman 570 and a slightly used 2013 550 LE EPS. They are all roughly the same price.

I am looking for the good/bad of each machine. Also the differences between the 570/800 and 550 as far as chassis, suspension and other overall features. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
The new 570 is the way to go. I honestly do not see the 550 being around much longer.

The 570 still uses the tried and true strut front suspension that all classic sportsman's have, which is proven.

The 570 puts out 44HP, slightly more than the 550, should out torque it too.

I have heard that the 800 is geared lower for work, which would make it a torque monster, an excellent choice if you love torque.

With the new 570, i would not even consider the 550.
I vote 570.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My #1 vote would be for the 800.

-The twin cylinder is buttery smooth running, and same on power delivery.
-Increased torque of the larger engine
-The 800 twin in tried and true...should have all the bugs worked out.

On the 550...Not a bad choice, but I would not run around the block for the XP chassis from what I have seen, and I own an 850xp.

The 570, I don't know a whole lot about...I know they have used this engine in the RZR 570 for a few years now. However 2014, is the first year putting it in an ATV frame...I try to make it a rule not to buy the first two model years of toys and trucks.

Just my opinions, so take them for what they are. I don't think any of them are a "BAD CHOICE".

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd get the 570 if you're on a budget, if not I would get a grizzly 700, kingquad 750, or a 850xp.

In the 570 forum they said the 570 will beat a grizzly 700 0-40mph.

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!:med:

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
With your backround of enduro and harescramble.... I'd say torque, power and riding hard are in your blood. So to me the thirsty yet smooth and powerful 800 would be the way to go.... or even look at the 850XP. The major differences between the 400, 570 & 800 Sportsman series and the 550 & 850 XP series is the suspension and ride ergonomics.

We can all tell you to get an 800.... or a 850..... or a 570, but until you ride them and feel what would please you, you'll always wonder. Just like I've never riden an XP machine and don't want to (fall in love), as I already love my power monster 800! When I did my homework on here and bought mine I'd decided that I didn't want EPS (power steering) and a newer XP suspension (that seems to crack welds frequently). A 500 would have suited every need I had for an ATV, but I wanted to one up that for the "what if, or why didn't I" factors. And couldn't be happier with my 800..... tried and true chasis/suspension, smooth running twin cylinder engine, EFI, torque and boogie. Only down side I've found.... is that IT IS THIRSTY @ ABOUT 12-13 MILES PER GALLON.

What I did..... read the forums and this thread for idea's and thoughts (from the people that know from owning). Than head to the dealer and ask the same question and play dumb :D Than test ride them all and buy what makes you feel the most happy. Remember it's only money , and you can make more :D

EDIT: To add as food for thought, It isn't always about size either..... riding style and how / where used. As on "True ATV Trails" (Single track 52-54" wide).... my wife's 2005 Sportsman 400 (425cc) will keep right up with me. But hit the straights and hills and my 800 muscles alway with ease.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have a buddy who got into ATVing a couple years ago and came from the same background as you, and he is a frugal guy so he bought the Can-am 650 (when only the 800 was out there) And all I did was listen to him say on every trip, man I wish I got the 800 (can-am or Popo) now the 650 was not a slouch and will beat a Popo 800 on a longer straight aways as they are geared for more top end, it sucked in the mud and on takeoffs as it had no low end and the Visco loc AWD sucked, anyway moral of the story he bought the first 1000 that come out as he wanted the speed along with low end. So do not sell yourself short, give the 850HO a sit and the 570 as to me those are the only 2 I would consider right now, nothing against the 800's as those too are great, they just don't have that extra giddyup and if you don't need that, then I would just go for the 570 with EPS...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I grew up riding motorcycles in the desert. When I bought my first wheeler I thought that they all felt like you were sitting on a horse, really wide. When I jumped on a xp chassis I felt right at home with the narrow seat. I basically stole my 550 when I bought it, the people were idiots. It has done everything, no real complaints but I have always been a power junkie. I wish I would have gotten an 850.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I tried the Honda Rincon, Polaris 550, 800 and 850 before getting my first ATV. After that, there was no question I wanted the XP frame and 850 power, which I got and quite happy with...

·
11,275 Posts
If your choice is only between the machines you mentioned, get the 800. It will jerk a kink in your neck. It's the same basic frame setup as the 500 with about twice the power.

·
Registered
619 Posts
850 Scrammy................

·
Registered
164 Posts
The 550 LE Look at what you get to the economy model 570. If no bells are required get the 570. But I love the 550 LE Steath. Seat much better, has winch. Progressive springs .eps.I'm old so I love eps. But if you need more balls and not so good of fuel economy. Go the 850. You can't go wrong with any. Its up to your preference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts