Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2005 Tacoma Double Cab, short bed. I'm looking to upgrade to a full size. I typically haul my Sportsman 400, plus we have 2 kayaks that we take out a lot. All fits in my Tacoma at separate times, but it's tight. Plus, the mileage is getting up there, so it's time.

However, kids may be in the future, so i'm not sure if a GMC double cab or a Ram crew cab is big enough for the potential future child seats. I like the bed length on both of those models.

If I move to the GMC crew cab or the Ram crew cab, then I lose bed length, and it's only slightly larger than my current Tacoma short bed. Width is bigger.

Looking at specs online, the full size double cab/quad cab seem to be the same size as the back seats in my tacome double cab.

Does anyone have any experience with these models.

ugh.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Hmmm.... You can always find a fullsize 3/4 ton and get the best of both worlds.... Crew cab and Long box?! :dunno: But guessing you don't need a 3/4 ton if your currently scooting around in a Tacoma!

One thing you could always go if you went crew cab in any flavor truck, is to find a "roof top" kayak carrier and still fit the quad in the back, but you may need to haul it with the endgate down??

Something like this (but the atv in rear, instead of additional kayaks)....

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you buy a new Silverado you have the option of getting a crew cab with the same size box as a the double cab...you can either get the short box or the standard box

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, many options. Honestly, I hate the look of the crew cab in the Silverado/Sierra and the Ram, especially with the long bed. But on the other hand, only gaining 7" in bed length compared to my Tacoma doesn't seem like a big upgrade. And I def. don't need a 3/4 ton, although I would love to run around in a Power Wagon!

I guess my main concern is if the back seats in the double cab Sierra are big enough for car seats (in the future). Looking on Edmunds, rear leg room is 34.6" in the Sierra vs. 32.6" in my Tacoma. But I don't think that factors in the space between the top of the back seat to the back of the front seat.

I'm nuts.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Since 2013 you could get a crew ram with the long or short box. Part of the reason I traded in my last ram for a new one was to get the crew cab for room for kids and car seats. The crews are MASSIVE.

I have a 2014 Crew Cab Ram 1500 With the longer 6'6'' Box. Also have the Ramboxes which I wouldn't trade for anything, hands down best feature of the truck. Also love the room the crew cab offers.

I got the Outdoorsman Package which gives it skid plates, heavy duty cooling, upgraded suspension, 3.92 axle ratio, locking diff, on/off road tires, and a few other goodies. The 1500 outdoorsman is kinda like the half ton version of the Power Wagon. Combine this with the 8 speed transmission and the 5.7 hemi its a truck that will haul ass AND get around 20 MPG consistently. Wouldn't trade it for anything. It tows loads better than my 08' Ram 2500 hemi I traded in for it.

I don't think you can buy a bad truck anymore these days.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 13 Ram 1500 Sport Crew with the short box. Would not trade the extra room in the cab for anything. I would have liked to get the bigger box but setteld for the shorter because the reguler or long with the crew is just too much of a pain in the ass to park in the city.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Yeah, many options. Honestly, I hate the look of the crew cab in the Silverado/Sierra and the Ram, especially with the long bed. But on the other hand, only gaining 7" in bed length compared to my Tacoma doesn't seem like a big upgrade. And I def. don't need a 3/4 ton, although I would love to run around in a Power Wagon!

I guess my main concern is if the back seats in the double cab Sierra are big enough for car seats (in the future). Looking on Edmunds, rear leg room is 34.6" in the Sierra vs. 32.6" in my Tacoma. But I don't think that factors in the space between the top of the back seat to the back of the front seat.

I'm nuts.
I hear you on the POWER WAGON comment.... me too.

The GM "Double Cab" is basically a glorified extended cab, but with 4 "full" (short rear) doors.... same goes for the Dodge version, until you move into the true crew cab models.

·
Registered
815 Posts
ford offers a 6.5 foot bed in the f150.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you like the Tacoma try out the 07+ 7,200 GVW V8 Tundra trucks. You'll pay more for the 07+ Toyota Tundra 4.6L & 5.7L OHC V8 engine trucks but they seem to last longer and put up with my stepdad's abusive driving habits better than the GM, Ford, or Dodge trucks did. I keep trying to tell him it's not a quad or skidder but he still off-road's on logging sites with his 2005 & 2012 Tundras... at 250,000 + miles on the 2005.
The 3/4 ton GMs and Fords didn't fare as well.

·
Registered
619 Posts
You'll be able to fit car-seats comfortably in the rear of any 4-door pickup. And as far as the bed length, you're probably going to have to leave the tailgate down w/ the machine in the bed anyway, right? Unless you get an 8-foot bed? So I'd say it doesn't matter if you get the short bed or not, i'll fit in w/ the tailgate down. And the kayaks are going to have to be roof-mounted; I don't see how else you'd carry them w/ the quad in the bed.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Maybe this? IDK how tall it is, but the things slide on rails so you can move them. Its made by bakflip tonneau

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I have a 09 Ram Crew Cab. Back seats are huge. But only 5'7" box. New Crew Cabs can be optioned with 6'4" box for sure, and maybe 8' box on some models? I think?
I like my Dodge alot. But I am a Toyota man at heart. I would love to own a new Tundra!

·
Registered
619 Posts
^ This. Make sure that whatever bed-rack you get, that the pillars slide front-to-back on the bed rails. Otherwise it'll be in the way when you want to ride the 4-wheeler up into the bed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you like the Tacoma try out the 07+ 7,200 GVW V8 Tundra trucks. You'll pay more for the 07+ Toyota Tundra 4.6L & 5.7L OHC V8 engine trucks but they seem to last longer and put up with my stepdad's abusive driving habits better than the GM, Ford, or Dodge trucks did. I keep trying to tell him it's not a quad or skidder but he still off-road's on logging sites with his 2005 & 2012 Tundras... at 250,000 + miles on the 2005.
The 3/4 ton GMs and Fords didn't fare as well.
I love the old style Tundra. Perfect size IMO.

For clarity, I don't carry both at the same time.

IDK, I might just go with the Sierra Crew Cab short box. The tailgate will have to be down anyway, but at least the quad will fit width wise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
If you like the Tacoma, why not buy a new one and a 4 or 5 x 8 trailer and take everything with you. I have a V-6 60sp standard and it pulls trailer with ease. 22 mpg imperial pulling and 27 empty. Mine is an access cab and grandson's car seats fit in it. Good luck with whatever you get.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do like my Tacoma, but I'd kind of like to change it up a bit. However, the engine is a dog, especially going up hills. Rumor has it that a new Tacoma is coming in 2016, but I haven't seen any pics or specs yet.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I drive a 2013 Ram 1500 quad cab, not crew, with the big Hemi engine and this thing is FRICKEN AWESOME!!

I have the Ramboxes that are the best things on any truck I've ever seen, but I will caution you that you likely won't be able to fit your quad in there if you get them.

You can fit a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood in there with the gate down, and I believe that the width (with the Ramboxes) is actually 51".

As you can see in the picture attached I tow a 21 foot travel trailer, and it still moves!

Just for the hell of it, I decided to see how fast I could go whilst pulling my 21 foot travel trailer, and I quit at 140km/h (roughly 88mph), and there was still bags of pace left in it.

I am a Nissan man and have owned countless amounts of Pathfinders, Muranos, and even the occasional Altima, and the Ram 1500 is probably the nicest of the lot.

I started out looking at an F150 (because that's what you do when you buy a truck apparently), and quickly realized that I get way more bang for my buck with a Ram (and in my opinion) a much, much nicer looking truck.

Take one for a test drive and see for yourself. Plus they are offering some pretty decent discounts (or at least here in Canada anyway).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I had a 13 ram Laramie crew cab and liked it but bed is short at 5 1/2 ft. Plenty of room for two child seats back there. New Chevy has 6 1/2 ft bed and my buddy likes his 14. Another buddy has f150 with ecoboost and it is a nice truck too. You really can't go wrong with any of the new trucks theses days.

I got about 15mpg city and if I babied it about 20 on the hwy at 60mph. That being said I now have a 2014 ram 3500 cummins and would never go back to a gasser:). Also, IMO, if u look at ram Laramie or Laramie longhorn, they have the nicest interiors of any truck. They have come a long ways the last couple of years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Now is the time of year to buy, so you're doing that right for sure. if you can stretch it to the end of July, you may get one hell of a deal too. a couple guys at work have the new Chevy's, one guy is getting 23MPG with the 5.3, pretty good for a full size. as others have said, you can get a crew cab with a 6'6" bed, but will be hard to find one on the lot that inst a 3/4 or 1 ton.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Ram is nice. Haven't driven one yet, but I hear they are a blast. I'm not quite sold on the reliability of Ram just yet. GM has good motors, it's just the other annoying things that seem to go on their vehicles.

Thanks for all your input. Once I get my new truck, i'll def. post pics with my quad in it. Kayak too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts