·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bueller Bueller, anyone anyone?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I just bought a set for the rear of my 09 800 touring. I have not ridden yet though :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh and I got mine for less than $800.00 as they had some clearance items and I lucked out and got a set for 50% off.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice setup, and was that 50% off the $800 or was $800 reflecting the fifty percent off? Reason why I ask is I was quoted $600 for the rear Stage 2.

Now seeing how they fit on our 800's I really like it. So we definately need a report on how they handle. The claims are it puts more of the tire on the ground where it should be so your shock absorbtion, longer travel etc. etc. should all be improved.

But since you have the Touring, 2-up model wasn't your rear suspension more robust then say our normal Sportsmans? What was your complaints, was it too stiff for the pasenger?

Thx,

R'

·
Registered
118 Posts
The MSRP was $1595.00 or something like that. I carry a passenger and was disappointed with lack of adjustability especially of the rear springs. It just felt like the quad wanted to tip over going around corners so hopefully this will straighten it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I tell ya for those prices they really better be all that! -IMO

Please give us a full run down report b/c this upgrade along with the Big Horns have been bothering me to NO end
for sometime, lol..lol

Cheers,

R'

·
Registered
118 Posts
So I have not ridden the quad since I installed the new Elkas. Immediatly after install I see a problem where I lost 3 inches of travel. I had measured 30 inches from the ground to the bottom of the rear fender. With the new shocks cranked up untill the coils were almost in coilbind I still only had 27 inches. I emailed Elka immediatly and after waiting 2 days I finally phoned and was told I would have an answer latter that day that the engineers were working on it. I got an email late Friday and was told I will have an answer Monday. I am glad I didnt run the quad because I think it might have damaged something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
HondaRacer,

What did ELKA reps say about this issue?

R'

·
Registered
118 Posts
Will let ya all know as soon as I hear. I suspect they will do the right thing, but it makes ya wonder how this could happen. Had I not measured before removing I may not have even known untill latter possably on a ride trying to drive over a big rock and crashing into it rather than going over.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm running Elka's on my 850XP. I got in on one of the group deals on the ATVTorture site. Saved 25% off 4 shocks. The best move I ever made on my quad!

People forget about shocks all the time. I didn't do it on any of my utility quads until this year. It will be the first move I make from now on. The handling improves 100% with some real shocks on the quad! With the adjustable preload/rebound/compression you can dial them in for any terrain!

If you can afford to get some. Elka's are the way to go!

·
Registered
118 Posts
So another day goes by with no response from Eric. He answered my emails daily while I was making the purchase, now I sent 5 emails and hear nothing. Lucky its not riding season yet and I dont need the quad or I might be a bit upset.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
So another day goes by with no response from Eric. He answered my emails daily while I was making the purchase, now I sent 5 emails and hear nothing. Lucky its not riding season yet and I dont need the quad or I might be a bit upset.
Why don't you give them a call. I didn't have any issues reaching and talking to my rep (Yahn) at all. He returned my calls within the hour and addressed all of my issues. 1(800) 557-0552 is the direct number if you don't have it.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Stage 1 Elka's Installed on 850 XP

·
Registered
118 Posts
SO another day goes by and still no word, so I call them up and just get the runaround promising me someone will cal me back. Hes been telling me the same story for a week now. I am getting fed up with this clown and not sure what to do from here. I am about to call Visa and tell them I am not going to pay for the shocks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well can't you return them on a 30 day satisfaction guarentee or something?

Seems like with a company so reputiable you wouldn't be having these issues. IMO. I would call them in a day or two and tell them that they can send you a RMA return box if they don't fix it asap. Then pull the VISA thing if they don't accomodate ya, IMO.

Regards,

R'

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey thanks for the quick reply. AM I asking too much for $800.00 shocks that wont even give my quad original ride height? You can see from the pictures the springs seem too short. I wont sacrifice ground clearance on a 2 up quad, if I could use the OEM springs I would put them on, but they are too big.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Are you absolutely sure that those are the right product you ordered? When I look at Smoothbass XP setup you can clearly see how much longer they are. Probably not the issue but just a thought!

Smooth we still need a full report on your testing please for us other Sportsman riders.

Thanks,

·
Registered
118 Posts
I sent an email to Elka asking that exact question. All I keep getting is that the engineers are looking into it. THats the same reply I been getting since I discovered the problem. Worst customer service I got since I bought a $90.000 fifth wheel and got to to piss up a rope by the selling dealer.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Did you measure the shocks against your stock ones prior to mounting them up?

I measured everything prior to mounting mine up and they were right on the money.

Where these shocks purpose built for your application or were these a shelf item?

I would send them back for a refund and stop messing around. You got a bogus rep that's giving you the run around. This is sad because this is a top suspension company. Highly reguarded by all.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts