Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently housing my ex sister in law's '05 Honda TRX400EX and took it up to our families cabin with us a couple weeks ago. My Cousin and another guy messed with it to get it to run at the higher elevation (just below 3000') better. Now at about 200' I can't get the damn thing to start.

I've asked them what exactly they did to it and am waiting on a response. I'm wondering if they just messed with the Idle screw, or if they managed to mess with the pilot screw too. any help would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I'm aware the only thing they took off was the intake side of the carb to see which way was choked and which way wasn't. but again, I wasn't hovering as My cousin I trust. The other guy was a friend of a different cousin so I don't know about him. anyway, they had it running good up there, but now it's not starting and I can't figure out why.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, what he said ^^^.
There's no reason to be adjusting the carb for 3000 ft.
that was my thought. My Hawkeye ran fine up there and it was jetted for sea level riding. I think they finally figured out that they just had the choke confused. according to my cousin they only took the intake off to see the choke, but that doesn't make sense since it ran fine up there. what makes it worse is it's not even my machine so I shouldn't be the one having to fix it but it was under my care so now I'm stuck dealing with it.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the only screw besides the idle adjustment I could see in the quick look I took last night appears to be the float bowl drain screw. but I'll talk a closer look on Friday.

also, the idle adjustment screw doesn't feel like it's really doing anything, almost like it's just free spinning. wonder if that could be part of the issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
well, the only screw besides the idle adjustment I could see in the quick look I took last night appears to be the float bowl drain screw. but I'll talk a closer look on Friday.

also, the idle adjustment screw doesn't feel like it's really doing anything, almost like it's just free spinning. wonder if that could be part of the issue.
Mixture screw should be directly under side of carb nearest the cylinder. The Recon I had had a very small mixture screw protruding outward, easily seen. Depends on the carb as some are recessed and covered with a removable brass plug. Sometimes its just easier to take the carb off and check everything, pilot jet, main, float and valve. I've fixed quite a few that were really messed up by backyard mechanics.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Mixture screw should be directly under side of carb nearest the cylinder. The Recon I had had a very small mixture screw protruding outward, easily seen. Depends on the carb as some are recessed and covered with a removable brass plug. Sometimes its just easier to take the carb off and check everything, pilot jet, main, float and valve. I've fixed quite a few that were really messed up by backyard mechanics.
if it's under the carb than I'm certain that they didn't mess with that and its something else causing my issue. I'm starting to think it may have just been flooded and hopefully a good long sit and a charged batter will take care of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts