1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do when I am riding, 2 many adults and children around here hurt on ATV's
who wears a helmet good points bad points

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
As soon as my ass hits the seat!

With that said, sometimes in summer it sucks so bad when its really hot, to wear a helmet. I do anyways though.

And stupid people hurt by not wearing a helmet deserve it!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
On the property, No!! Roads and trails, yes,
Same! Never go above 10 - 15 mph around the property. Fairly flat and groomed trails. Paying attention to the logs and sap sleds/wagons I'm dragging around. Slow is good.;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wear one all the time, but here in Michigan you don't have a choice. Figure this out you don't have to wear one riding a motorcycle at 70 mph on asphalt, but if your riding your atv at 20 on a dirt road you have to. I would wear one regardless of what the law states, but it is about the choice.

·
Registered
193 Posts
When I am out hunting, driving down fire trails at maybe 5 miles an hour and maybe 95 degrees out I absolutely hate to wear a helmet (visually restrictive, sound restrictive and hot). But you would be crazy not to, doing technical stuff or loading and unloading. I almost always have my big helmet along with me but I have also been known to wear a perforated styrofoam bicycle helmet on non-difficult trails just to be technically legal.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
I won't ride without one. When I organize a group ride, that is a requirement if you want to join in. Even at slow speeds, things can go wrong. Twice I've seen people get off of their atv on the ice and/or snow, slip and land on their back and their head slammed onto the ground. Neither one would have gotten back up if they didn't have their helmet on when they hit the ground. Happened to one of the guys yesterday.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya about the group thing
we started a group of guys going for 5 days in the Ws area,
not a club or anything just a group of guys, this year 16 of us
we do thu, have to wear a helmet, on a wheeler or side by side
and 4 years now no injury, had one guy hit his head on the roll bar hard enough to put a 1/4 deep groove in the helmet, that would have been the emergency room and ruined a day of riding for the rest, so our group a helmet is the best thing

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Myself and the kids EVERY time we put a butt on one. Even loading. Lost a guy at work this ear when a ramp broke and his ATV flipped over on top of him. If he had a helmet on, his head would have not been crushed and he would have survived.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dont when doing yard maintanance and such but speed is low range and creepin along for the most part. Once i leave the property for a tour the helmet goes on. 1, ive personally had too many close calls not to wear one and 2, it helps to just keep flying debris(bugs,dirt,mudd) out of your face.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That's my criteria as well. My property work is slow and much like being on a small tractor.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Always! it saved my life once! you just never know.

·
Banned
2,959 Posts
I always wear a helmet. You have to be stupid not to. If you've ever seen one of these things flip over on someone you'll wear it all the time too.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Always and anyone who rides with our club/group must also wear one. Always wear one when loading in and out of pickup truck. Not always when loading on low trailer with ramp.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I guess you're just not as smart as I thought you were.

Oh well,.....it's your smashed nugget! :nzd:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Slowly around the house no. Trail riding without question, 100% always.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I guess you're just not as smart as I thought you were.

Oh well,.....it's your smashed nugget! :nzd:
I'm gonna rant for a minute here. Nothing political but it may ruffle some tailfeathers. If you have a thin skin ignore the rest...

Pulling a york rake, disc, tiller, mower, sap sled... etc. On very flat ground. 5mph is too fast for those activities. I need a full field of view to keep the rugrats safely away when doing this stuff. No different than using a Ford 8n in low low.

Trails and logging roads are another story. Low branches and the 9 unpredictable boobs that I sometimes ride with... 20-30mph is fast enough to get permanently maimed without getting dead.

NH doesn't require helmets on road bikes and I dont wear one on my Kawi. If I have an incident at over 50mph I'll be dead. Helmet or not. The helmet just makes it an open casket funeral with long sleeves and high collar to hide the road rash.

I'm sick to death of our nanny culture that has folks poking their noses into things that are none of thier affair. Let's make it safe... I've got a news flash. Life ain't safe. I pay my bills when I screw up and that's that. My funeral arrangements are already made and paid for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
209 Posts
What he said!!! I do wear a helmet but only when trail riding and because it's the law in PA! But come on why the hell should anyone tell me what to do! Yes I'm sure it's a lot safer with a helmet on but it's also my life! And no I don't wear a seatbelt either!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
What he said!!! I do wear a helmet but only when trail riding and because it's the law in PA! But come on why the hell should anyone tell me what to do! Yes I'm sure it's a lot safer with a helmet on but it's also my life! And no I don't wear a seatbelt either!!
Here where I live the taxpayer ends up flipping the bill for those that end up as vegetables in the hospital, also our insurance rates go up and give off roaders a bad rep. Maybe its different where you live.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't but the grand kids always do. I rarely see adults wearing them, I think Alaska law requires kids 16 and under to wear them. I'm a recreation and hunting ATV trail rider and rarely go over 10 mph. I try to drive safely and have never rolled a machine since I started riding ATV's in the 80's. I think it is up to the individual unless the law says other wise. Just what we need, more laws. If we want to save lives then make a law the requires us to lock the cell phone in the trunk when driving.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts