Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 polaris sportsman 500 ho when I go over 20 MPH on gravel, or sand it feels like I almost lose control, almost feels like when your driving in a bunch of ruts or something. If I go that fast on the pavement, it doesn't feel that way. Any idea's what it might be?

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
May be the air pressure your running. I know with the tracker p tires a 1/2 pound would make a difference for me. Seems the gravel liked a little more air. Not been in sand so I have no ideal...lol

·
Registered
376 Posts
Need better tires, if your still running stock tires, those suck bigtime!! 2 ply garbage!!
Need 6 ply tires like Mudlites or Swamplites are good choices to start looking into

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Don't think its tires. Could be wheel bearings or tie rod ends or both going bad. Check for play in both!! Also check for play where tie rods connect to steering stem! Post up what you find.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well he said it was ok on pavement, so if there was a loose end or bearing you would def feel it then.
Yes popo's are notorious for loose tie rods, bearings etc!!
I have a 2004 Sporty 600 with 1200 miles, have replaced the lower ball joint's, and tie rods, also have a 2006 Kodiak 450 with 5500 miles and replaced bearings but the tie rods are still tight!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone. I'll have to check all thee above. I'll let you all know. I bought this four wheeler from a dealer a month ago, and he said the tires are after market tires, and in really good shape, which they look like it.

·
Registered
838 Posts
My 2012 did the same as you speak of after I installed the Maxxis big horn tires. It was because of the camber with the bottom of the tires bowed outwards. I installed PVC spacers on the front struts to eliminate the sag causing the camber problems and no more wandering from side to side on the dirt roads.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I installed some coil spring spacers hoping to help with the camber with the bottom of the tires bowed outwards, and didn't seem to help. Also I checked the tie rod ends, and they seem good. The wheel bearings, there is a tiny bit of play, but not much. Guess it might be the tires..... that said, they seem like there in good shape, and after market tires I'm told. Haven't checked the alignment yet. Do I need to take that in to check that, or can I do it myself? Any other ideas?

·
Registered
217 Posts
What aftermarket tires do you have on your Sportsman.....the brand, type and size? Need a baseline on that....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Front tires are sedona mud rebels AT 25X8-12 (205/80-12)
The Back tires are the Polaris Xtreme tire, polaris by carsile and there AT26X11R12.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tell your dealer he needs to replace the tires. Should be 25 inch or 26 inch front and back. As far as I'm aware of the sportsman's run same diameters of tires front and rear.

·
Premium Member
12,408 Posts
I'm gonna say that ur problem is in the different diameters of ur tires. When ur on pavement the quad is only using 2wd and when ur on sand/gravel the quad is either switching from 2wd to 4wd or just in 4wd and the different tire diameters is creating a push/pull action between the front and rear axles. This is happening because the axels are traveling at different rates of speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts