Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just trying to understand. On a car, typically the fan blows air towards the radiator (back to front).

My Sportsmans blow the opposite direction (Front to back) essentially "sucking" air through the radiator instead.

Seems like this cools LESS?

Help me out.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
air blowing forward thru radiator?

Never seen an auto like that - pushing air forward. I have seen mechanical pullers (pull air from behind radiator towards engine), electrical pullers and electrical pushers (push air from in front of radiator thru it and towards engine). Your polaris is a puller, main reason it to keep the fan and motor cleaner than if they were riding way up front! :werd:

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ this. i don't know of any vehicle that forces air through the radiator from the backside.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
some car engines have the fans in the grill area to save space in the engine bay. space saving is the only benefit in a car. IN a truck or ATV you want a sucking motor, where it sucks the air through the system rather than push it. this prevents dirt and debris from impacting the fan motor and causing premature failure. a fan can still have a cooling effect on the engine block if the radiator is completely clogged with mud and debris if it's on the back side of the radiator. if the fan is on the front of the radiator, and the radiator is clogged than non of the air the fan is pushing is not going through the radiator cooling the engine block.

There is no cooling efficiency difference between a pushing or pulling fan set up unless the radiator is clogged. at which point the pushing fan loses all efficiency and the pulling fan maintains some cooling aspects.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Many diesels, tractors for example, have fans that pull the cool air through the rad. A company out of Europe called Clean Fix have reversible fans. Can change directions to clean the rad and grill off.

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Not sure what kind of cars you have been looking at, but I have never seen a front mounted engine and radiator where the fan blows from the back of the radiator towards the front of the car... :ponder:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Same here, and I design them for a living. :D

Incoming airflow through the grill would very quickly negate any airflow trying to be pushed through a radiator from the rear.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
no, the fan is blowing through the radiator toward the engine, or pulls through the radiator towards the engine. Engine Fan Rad = Pulls through with <--- airflow direction. Engine Rad Fan = push through with <---- airflow direction.

////=mud/dirt/debris blocking radiator

Engine Fan Rad //// = engine cooling from fan

Engine Rad //// Fan = no engine cooling from fan.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Now, this is completely negated if you have a remote radiator like most offroad racers and many mud trucks. some run with fans on the engine, some don't. but the remote radiator still has 1-4 fans on it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I never looked closely and assumed .... ass u me oops.

Thanks for clearing it up, I thought I had a problem at first.

Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Hey if you didn't ask and make an "ass" out of "U" then I guarantee that two others would have later. Somewhere in the 119 views someone feels relieved that you asked the question. :)

Always was taught there were no stupid questions. Without them you wouldn't learn and many others have read this now know the answer as well.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I guess I never looked closely and assumed .... ass u me oops.

Thanks for clearing it up, I thought I had a problem at first.

Learn something new every day.
If you had just thought about what you had written the answer would have come to you. How can you cool an engine by pushing hot engine air through a radiator,and pulling cool air from the front of the vehicle just makes sense

·
11,162 Posts
If you pushed the hot air from the engine through the radiator you would get little if any cooling. By pulling cool air through you lower the temp of the coolant and don't push mud and dirt into the rad clogging it up. The only machines I'm aware of that pushed out was some of the older heavy equipment with open cabs that you could reverse the fan blades for use of a heat tube to warm the operator in winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts