Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have come to the epic decision of either buying the Scrambler 850 LE or the Renegade 800r X XC. I have started a thread in the Can-Am forum as well to get both sides of the story. What I am looking for is an unbiased opinion on why the Scrambler is better than the Renegade. Or if you think the Renny is better then please by all means explain. I received some good info from the Can-Am guys and looking to see what y'all say. I understand the Scrambler 850 has more HP than the Renegade, but I also know the Scrambler weighs 80 pounds more. I don't care about the rack system that comes with the Scrambler either. Whichever bike I go with will be for GNCC style racing. I will not be in GNCC just yet since I am some what of a beginner at racing however been riding for years in the mud, trails, and rock climbing. Please be descriptive in why you choose one over the other. If it matters, I am 6'8" and 190 pounds. Some bikes I just don't fit on! Thanks in advance for all the inputs.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
The ride along will sell you, my buddy has the gade 800 and i have the 850 sportsman, the gade is fun to ride and seems faster but when we raced thegade is only faster right off the line the rest of the way it is the popo but ride all day and you will wish you where on the scrambler

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
This is true, my brother rides an 800 xxc and he is always complaining the day after about how sore this and that is. For racing I would probably go with the renegade though as it's a good bit easier to pull more hp out of the motor. I know just a pipe and programmer on the rotax gives you some good gains in hp, also swap out the clutches and it gets even faster.

I would never trade my Scrambler for the type of riding I do, but if I was racing and had to choose between the polaris 850 and the can am 800, 9 times out of 10 I would go with the can am if my sole purpose was to race. This is just my opinion as I'm sure some will disagree with my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
These are really the 2 top dogs, i don't think you can go wrong with either, is there a price break for one to the other and are the mods to get a couple more HP more or less for either? I would say try and visit a dealer ship that allows you to ride each and see what one feels better for you as you are really tall with not a lot of weight to you, most of my buddies over 6'4" are pushing over 3 bills, LOL....

·
Premium Member
9,450 Posts
Scrambler has more ground clearence, more suspension travel, more horses, better 4wd system, better power steering, looks better, is a better riding bike ie the bike absorbs the trails instead of your body. Both r great performing bikes and each has their strengths over the other so Def go and ride both to c which will serve ur needs the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Bruce! - Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!

Chronix79v - That's very good info, because after a year if I still want to continue I will be buying additional aftermarket parts and if the Renegade gets more HP or more performance from their upgrades then that's something nice to know. I have been told that the ride on the Scrambler is way better, but I would prefer a win with a sore body over 3rd place and not sore.

Lollygagger77 - Very true, I am a skinny guy. I do run a lot though, and currently in the military so if I weighed 300 I would be booted out….anyway, price isn't a concern for me, obviously want to spend as little as possible but I have the money to buy new and put aftermarket prices on later if I get serious and actually join GNCC.

Thank you to everyone for the info, keep it coming!

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
GNCC is the rough country racing correct? that means you've got technical riding, combined with mud, rocks, etc.. acceleration, and 4wd are going to be your key points over top speed.

a machine that absorbs the trail better is going to go faster over rough terrain. You're also going to feel more confident going faster over rough terrain. clutching can be adjusted to improve acceleration from lower speeds. and AWD is going to be a deal maker, or breaker.

For me this all leans scrambler. smoother riding, better top speed, better AWD, and the clutching can be adjusted for better acceleration. not to mention the lower cost just means more money for improvements.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
here is my unbiased opinion. if you are racing, the renegade is probably the machine to have. has been out longer, alot of aftermarket support, and they are fast machines in the woods.

If your looking for a machine for long trail rides the polaris is the way to go. I also think the polaris is a bit more reliable.

I have ridden a few renegades and they are rough riding machines compared to the polaris.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Come on guys it LOOKS better, that's an opinion not a fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input everyone but I will be going with the Renegade. Sounds to me like it just out performs the Scrambler in the XC type of Racing and the Renegade has more aftermarket parts available compared to the Scrambler. Once again thanks for the info gents and see you on the trails.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Congrats, you'll love it...keep us up to date on your thoughts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts