Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share my story with you guys..

Well I had a 2005 yz250f, I saved up 2k that I worked hard for for about 3 years

I broke my wrist and got to ride a Honda 400 a couple times. Needless to say I wanted a utility quad

I traded for a 1998 polaris xplorer 400. I chose the 400 because my pap owns one also so we can help eachother on problems, and a top end is easier and I've done one before.

The guy had no title, said his friend owned it. So I said whatever, I'm never getting it registered with the DCNR anyways.

Until I found out about mines and meadows in pa. Needless to say I want to go.

So I went about getting it titled in my name and registration

I ran the vin through the stolen vehicle database (dads a state cop) and its NOT reported stolen. So there's one thing down

I did learn it was a 1995 tho!

I called the DCNR to see how they could help. I was on the phone for an hour with the guy who was a complete asshole.

The DCNR has to send the original owner a letter asking if its okay to transfer, and then I can get it in my name.

So the guy can sign and
I'm okay....

OR

I'm worried that the guy will find out that he still legally owns the atv. And then he would say it was stolen, and get the atv back....

So I am to call back April 12th, and see if he signed, or did that.

If he does decide to say its stolen, then I'm out 2k plus 500 I've sunk into it. And being only 15 making 40$ a paycheck at McDonald's another atv won't happen

Lets hope he is a nice guy!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Good luck!

I've been saying never buy without a title for years. Most think I'm too hard up on thy rule. In Washington, they give the legal owner 3 years to respond to a title claim before they issue a new title to you.

Let us know how it goes. Good for you working at age 15! I had a job at that age too at a fast food place, and now I'm 25 with a pretty good job. That work experience really will pay off for you when you start turning in resumes to employers and they see you had a job at 15. How much you make now an where you work doesn't matter much. It's the experience.

I see way too many young guys without work ethic. Keep it up! Tens years down the road, this work will pay off.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Mines and Meadows is a great place to ride....but very expensive for just a day there. Do you have other places to ride that would allow you to avoid the DMV crap for at least another year?

Also, where bouts do you live? Close to Washington?

Matt

Sent from West 'by-God' Virginia!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mines and Meadows is a great place to ride....but very expensive for just a day there. Do you have other places to ride that would allow you to avoid the DMV crap for at least another year?

Matt

canonsburg pa, it's in Washington county, grew up
In Washington

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Matt

canonsburg pa, it's in Washington county, grew up
In Washington
And 40$ for a weekend sounds fine to me! I rarely get to hit trails so shelling out some money it's fine with me!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Dont get me wrong if its a once in a while place to ride, sure. But most places we ride at most charge 50 bucks a year for membership.

Check out Power Line Park in St. Clairsville, OH.

They race GNCC there and are only open select weekends of the year and its a great time. Plus they have trucks and mud races!

Matt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not sure what that means. A bill of sale is a contract between you and the seller. It would show proof that you purchased it. A bill of sale is signed by both parties involved. So... If the person you bought it from went to the police and said you stole it, you would have a signed document showing all the info about the atv and the sale price to prove its yours, and was sold to you. Right now you have no proof that you paid for it, other than each other’s word. If the state still shows the seller as the owner he could be an @#$hole and get it back. I believe my state requires a bill of sale to get a new title.
Mike B

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Did you write up a bill of sale when you bought it? You can print them off the internet.
Mike B
Nope, no point in getting one. The atv was still in the original owners name
Not sure what that means. A bill of sale is a contract between you and the seller. It would show proof that you purchased it. A bill of sale is signed by both parties involved. So... If the person you bought it from went to the police and said you stole it, you would have a signed document showing all the info about the atv and the sale price to prove its yours, and was sold to you. Right now you have no proof that you paid for it, other than each other’s word. If the state still shows the seller as the owner he could be an @#$hole and get it back. I believe my state requires a bill of sale to get a new title.
Mike B
Ohh no! No bill of sale? That's even more important then the title!

Mike is right! As of now you have no way to prove you even paid for this thing. You have no proof about the sale.

Very quickly you need to try to get a bill of sale signed by the guy you bought it from with the price of sale and date it happened.

A bill of sale is very important, and was absolutely neccessary for your protection.

Look, lets say you had a bill of sale with date of sale, price, the vin number of the machine, an yours and the sellers name, info, and signature.

And the guy who is on th title and the legal owner won't sign off on it, and thus gets his machine back, you would at least have a legal document to try to get your money back from the seller. Because the seller did not have the legal right to sell the machine.

As it stands now, the owner on the title can get his machine back, and you have absolutely no proof to try to get your purchase money back. You'd lose your money and your machine.

Go get a bill of sale....NOW!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeeepp. There are a ton of templates for "Bill of Sales" on the internet, print one off and fill it out. You need proof of sale.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my atv from a guy that still had a loan out on it. He needed to sell it and get the money to pay it off. Which was risky on my part, but the guy lived 4 miles away so I trusted him. I had a two page bill of sale showing and stating every piece of information I could think of. Two weeks after the sale the title arrived and he signed it over to me. That bill of sale was the only proof I had that I paid for the ATV. Listen to Blue, get one written up right away. I'm suprised your Dad wouldn't have wanted some sort of proof of purcahse, with him being a police officer.
Mike B

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I bought my atv from a guy that still had a loan out on it. He needed to sell it and get the money to pay it off. Which was risky on my part, but the guy lived 4 miles away so I trusted him. I had a two page bill of sale showing and stating every piece of information I could think of. Two weeks after the sale the title arrived and he signed it over to me. That bill of sale was the only proof I had that I paid for the ATV. Listen to Blue, get one written up right away. I'm suprised your Dad wouldn't have wanted some sort of proof of purcahse, with him being a police officer.
Mike B
Oh trust me I heard an earful from him getting it.

And unfortunately I can't get a bill of sale, I Lost contact with the guy a long time ago, no number. Therefor no way of contact. He lives a good hour away

Trust me I know it was the dumbest choice I could make but I'm a impulse buyer... So lets hope the guy doesn't want it back.

I try to keep a positive outlook through whatever.

If they take the quad, I'll sell the parts I bought for it and put the money away. One day I'll get another one , ofcourse no time soon!

We learn from our mistakes, and trust me I've learned a whole book from this one

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have many times. However, I always call the local LEO and ask to run the VIN# first. You have to remember, titles didnt become common until 2003(ish) most came with a MSO.
Oh, and make sure to get a bill of sale.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Ohh no! No bill of sale? That's even more important then the title!
``````````````
````````````````

Even car sales don't require titles after 10 years, at least not in RI. But, BOS is mandatory.

Very sorry to hear about this story and hoping it has a happy ending for you!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I called the DCNR to see how they could help. I was on the phone for an hour with the guy who was a complete asshole.

Welcome to PA. I hate PA DCNR and could go on all night on my thoughts of them. Ever since ATVing got so big in PA they have become hungry bastards that USE atv riders as an income. That being said you guys can get back on subject now :)

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
first and foremost, you were taken advantage of. Being 16 your dad should have been involved in EVERY aspect of the purchase of this machine. even if it was just in the back ground. He should have made sure you had at least a bill of sale. I hope it works out for you, but you never know.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
first and foremost, you were taken advantage of. Being 16 your dad should have been involved in EVERY aspect of the purchase of this machine. even if it was just in the back ground. He should have made sure you had at least a bill of sale. I hope it works out for you, but you never know.
My parents are separated and I only see him around Christmas. So that would be hard to have him there. And my step dad couldn't be there because he was busy with my moms stuff (was diagnosed with ms)

Therefor I was on my own. I take all responsibility for the mistakes I made. Looking back on them and complaining about what I should have done isn't going to help the situation I already put myself into.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I may be wrong on this, but in most states I thought it was against the law for a minor to be involved in the selling of a vehicle that has a title. At least as the primary vehicle owner. I know my boys had to have their mom on their car until they reached 18.

If there becomes an issue with getting a title, you could go back to the seller for your money back under this premise...if you had a bill of sale.

My rule of thumb is if the object has a title, or i spend more than $200 I get a bill of sale.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You sound like a good kid and I hope you get the title. Definitely try to get a bill of sale from the seller, but I would be careful how much information you give him in regards to your title issue, as he may be less inclined to give you one if he thinks it may come back to bite him.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts