Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm sure it will turn out for the best in the end. Good things happen to good people. I'm sure the original owner won't think twice of signing the papers. Keep us posted on how everything turns out. Remember always try and protect yourself, it’s sad but there are people out there that will take advantage of anyone, even a hardworking 16 year old. Also if you have questions on stuff like this, post it on the forum. You will get a ton of info on what to do and what not to do.
Mike B

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can't really add any info as to the legal aspects of your situation as each state has their own laws. Irregardless of how you come out in this, consider it a lesson in life from the 'School of Hard Knocks'. You will never forget about this. I started working in 1950 at the age of 11, so I do understand what you are trying to handle. As you go on through life, expect many more lessons from this 'School', keep your head up and don't get discouraged. You sound like a fine Young Man, be proud of what you are trying to accomplish. Good Luck.

Fred

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
I may be wrong on this, but in most states I thought it was against the law for a minor to be involved in the selling of a vehicle that has a title. At least as the primary vehicle owner. I know my boys had to have their mom on their car until they reached 18.

If there becomes an issue with getting a title, you could go back to the seller for your money back under this premise...if you had a bill of sale.

My rule of thumb is if the object has a title, or i spend more than $200 I get a bill of sale.

sent from my Droid Razr Maxx...I would rather be riding.
I can be involved in it, it just cant go under my name. Will have to be under my moms name

As stated above, I'm praying the old owner is a nice guy who will just sign them and not think about it. All I know about him is that he is 72 years old.

I am to call the DCNR April 12th for the final verdict. I'll post back when I hear from them!

Thanks for all the positive hope and help guys!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Time will tell if the old guy will do the right thing....good luck to you

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
From this thread I bet in the state of PA you have to have a title for your lawn mower, chain saw, kids, dogs, etc.. What gives?

Never mind this post. My salesman that is from PA just told me that opening day for deer season was the most absent day of school for kids, and the most called in sick day for workers. Now it is a holiday for the state.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Good luck, hopefully this is a good lesson that won't cost you. Now you know, bill of sale next time, no matter what.

I bought my truck from a family member, who is also a state patrol officer, and we still did a standard bill of sale between us when I gave him the check.

Let us know after you do.

·
Registered
177 Posts
My salesman that is from PA just told me that opening day for deer season was the most absent day of school for kids, and the most called in sick day for workers. Now it is a holiday for the state.

Here in northern Michigan they don't even schedule school on opening day as they know there won't be any kids in school.

Sorry for the thread jack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think here in PA you need a title for anything with a VIN #. Good luck. I would like to think that an older guy would have no issue with signing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
for no title you could have told them it belonged to a family member that died and you cant find the ownership. for many people that i know this has been the case for atvs but i am also here in canada

·
Registered
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I Think you have to get a bill of sale notorized in pa, or its not worth the paper its on.
You might want to check on this, or it could really add to your grief

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
I Think you have to get a bill of sale notorized in pa, or its not worth the paper its on.
You might want to check on this, or it could really add to your grief
I would think that the DOL/DMV or what ever it's called in PA would have mentioned that when in inquired about titling the ATV. Not that it matters, cause he didn't even get a bill of sale.

·
Registered
294 Posts
This sucks kid, that could be a real kick in the nuts if this goes south on you! I was working when I was 14 as much as I could, when I bought something I took great pride in it. Now 9 years later it's not too big of a deal if I lose a few grand or more, but these situations suck. I even get a bill of sale from family members

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I was working when I was 14 as much as I could, when I bought something I took great pride in it. Now 9 years later it's not too big of a deal if I lose a few grand or more
What line of work are you in? I dont know to many 23 year olds that dont mind loosing a few grand.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts