Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was out four wheeling last fri along a creek bed got into some pretty mucky spots anyway when we left and we were driving down the road I started to hear noise of which sounded like a branch was in the fan. Pulled over to check to see and no branch in the fan. Anyone have any ideas. Ive been dethawing it the last couple of days.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
815 Posts
Branch in the wheels or axle areas?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Branch in the wheels or axle areas?
Thats what im hoping for. I didn't get a chance tonight to look at it. Im just trying to dethaw all the frozen dirt from around all the rear axles and wheels to start. I also have a flat tire now. I pumped it up and it seems to be leaking from the rim. Tried removing the wheel, felt like I was gonna snap the stud.

Anyway about the noise, after hearimg it j had asked my buddy to ride to see what he thought and he said its possible that the chain is loose. Could this also be a possibility??

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
what chain..there 2 chains...cam chain and transmission chain..the cam chain has a tensionor....And I doubt the tranny chain is making that noise....jack the rear up an run in gear..see if you can locate noise..if none do the front also with the rear still jacked...then check for mud frozen in fan area...if no noise from wheels an tranny

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok ill try that hopefully tomorrow. The rear is jacked up right now, as I got most of the stuff cleaned out.

As for which chain I think he mentioned the one that has the tensioner. He said the chain could have stretched. But bothbour first thoughts was a stick in the fan blade as that what it sounds like. Only when your going I think around 20+mph

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. So the noise ended up being a piece od the belt flapping against the cover.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Changed the belt took it foe a rup and the noise was gone.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
nice find..glad you got it sorted...did you blow out the clutches incase there was some pieces in there....

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yes for sure. It was simple. The onky problem is this belt was just installed late spring. Either clutches arent aligned properly, witch looked ok from what I can see or Im still an amature driver. Lol couple times ive been stuck and in low gear, give it throttle and smell the belt smoking. :eek:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That belt looks pretty tired. How many hrs/ miles. I got over 1500 miles/ 100 hrs on mine and looks almost new

Edit... ist it a polaris belt?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it is a polaris belt. And im not to sure of the miles. The other side of the belt look alot newer.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Opposite sides of the belt. The rough side is facing clutch cover

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Opposite sides of the belt. The rough side is facing clutch cover

Anyone know why the kne side looks new and the other side look old and worn???

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm guessing misaligned clutches

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts