Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 2006 Sportsman HO 500 and I was out on the trail the other day and I started to hear what sounded like a rock bouncing around in the clutch cover. I then heard a snapping sound and could feel what I think was the drive belt snap and get crumpled up inside. Needless to say I had to get towed out. I haven't opened it up yet but I was thinking of fixing it myself and was wondering if it is easy to do and if a belt from a 400 would fit a 500 because my neighbor has an extra

Any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
400 belt

I recently had a new drive belt put on my 400 explorer. I was going to do it
myself but I was told I would need a clutch puller and the plastic cover on
my model is hard to remove without dropping the step. The belt was $60
and $75 to put it on. I am still getting some noise in the cover but the
repairman said that was normal for the explorer 400 2-stroke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well first off the sportsman 400 belt wont fit a 500 because they 500 has EBS on it so different belt.
Randyuggie- the belt for your machine is also the same that fits the 400 which is a 3211077 belt that runs 54.49 plus tax and to take the clutch cover off that machine your looking at 3 bolts that hold the fender on and about 6 to 8 bolts that hold the cover on and change out the belt. About an hours worth of work. But if its still making noise the first thing is did they reshim the clutch for a new belt, its probly either too loose and slapping the cover alittle or the other thing thats possible is that the clutch cover is warped and you need to replace the clutch covers on it otherwise it will continue to slap and wear a hole in the cover. Hope that helps you guys out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts