Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will it function the same way? Mine is smoking like a crack head on welfare. I was wondering if the 500 hos from 01 up would fit and function or if I should just bore mine and just rebuild. Cost is half to rebuild over buy used engine, but mine may have the "soft" cam.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I'd find out why it's smoking. If it just needs a little top end work, that would be much cheaper than buying a new/different engine.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It at least needs rings. I swamped it and didnt run diesel thru the oil system to get the dirt out. I dont know yet if there is any head damage.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
32 Posts
A top end job will be easier than an entire engine swap. The overall quality of the finished product will be better. A nice fresh top end with proper compression & oil sealing.

An entire engine swap is a 50/50 shot as the one you buy could be beat as well. The only plus side is that you would have a ton of spare parts should you blow one or break something.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think I will just rebuild it myself. Now I have to find a good machinist to do the cylinder work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts