Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Well, I was previously in the market for a RZR but because I don't fit in a rzr comfortably I'm looking at an ATV. I'm 6'7" and I can't spend 20k on something I don't fit in.

I was looking at a 2014 850 XP HO LE. Living in colorado I'm thinking I'll appreciate the extra power. It also sounds like a nice riding machine.

My question is really about transportation. I'm about to try and make a deal with a local dealer and I am hoping to have a diamondback tonneau cover thrown in the deal. The ATV package looks to be exactly what I need. I have a travel trailer I want to pull and getting a trailer for the atv wouldn't be ideal.

I have a 2013 GMC 2500HD and it's a standard 6.5' box. It looks like I could fit the atv in the back but the tailgate would be down. Sadly I wouldn't be able to pull the trailer with the tailgate down.

I'm curious if anyone has seen a diamondback tonneau cover with an xp 850 on it? Rear loading standard box. The diamondback website says that all I need is a wheelbase less than 55" and it will fit. It looks like the xp is 53. I just don't want the ATV right up against the cab guard. I want to get the shorter standard one instead of the one that covers the whole rear window.

I think the front wheels of the 850 come right up to the front of the bumper. If this is the case i should be okay, but again, not 100% sure.

Buyers confidence is appreciated before I go and stimulate the economy :)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
You are thinking right about an 850 for riding the mountains of Colorado. Sometimes the smaller machines just aren't quite enough for some of the conditions here.
I've never seen one of those Diamond Back covers before, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say your 850 would fit on there with no problem. They show a picture of an XP loaded up on their web site. The 850 is right at 7' long, bumper to bumper, and your truck bed is 6.5'. Don't see any problem with it fitting. Stimulate away.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Smooth,

Take a look at these, will allow you to the XP in the bed and almost close the tailgate. Will give plenty of room for clearance for your trailer. You can order any size you need to get that tailgate up and out of the way.

TailGate support.

Tailgate Support | Pickup Truck, ATV, UTV | DG Manufacturing |

·
Registered
7,463 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys for the reply's. I'm getting closer to pulling the trigger. The tailgate bars are pretty cool. I think I'm probably going to try the diamondback out. I want to keep the usable storage space below if possible. It is tempting though to put it in the back of the truck and not spend the money on the cover. Watching some videos it looks pretty intense riding a 12' ramp on top of your truck. Seems fairly safe though the way the ramps lock in place. I'll keep you guys in the loop and thanks again for the feedback!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Im hoping the weather will cooperate this week so i can install my diamondback. I want to use the space in my bed for coolers and gear when i hunt. Plus i can lock it all up including my ramps. You have two options. Can get an extender for the bed or they have blocks you can put the front tires on and raise the front which reduces your wheelbase

·
Registered
36 Posts
From the diamondback site

ELEVATORS

It seems to be that ATVs are only getting bigger while truck beds are getting smaller. These detachable Elevators help you get a little extra length out of your DiamondBack ATV Carrier and haul that ATV that has a longer wheelbase. Made of diamond plate aluminium they simply prop up your tires so you can fit a bigger ATV on your DiamondBack ATV Carrier while still being able to easily hook your DiamondBack ATV Ramps on and off the Adapter Bars.

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts