Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a question for all you guys in the know ! I have a 08 800 sportsman it only has the electric starter, if the starter ever quits while I am in the woods can it be towed to start it ?????

·
Registered
421 Posts
no. wont work.

·
Registered
108 Posts
the only thing you can do if you have tools with you, is remove the clutch cover and start it like you can a sled. put a rope around the clutch and give it a pull...might hurt like heck when it kicks back tho .

·
Registered
151 Posts
wow that doesnt sound like fun, alot of compression kicking back at ya. hopefully that never happens. the thought has went across my mind also.

·
Registered
441 Posts
note............keep an xtra fuse on hand n cause she blows .........

·
Registered
421 Posts
your best bet would be to call someone to jump start it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not asking about a dead battery !!! Just want to know if towing it in gear will turn the engine, or will the rear braking system stop the wheels from turning ?? I mostly ride with others but we do go deep into the desert !!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
You "can not" tow start it!!! :deadhorse: :nono: But it would be nice if you could :yup:

·
Registered
108 Posts
if something happens to the starter, wether the battery is charged or not, you CAN NOT tow it to start it. It's been tested and failed. As a Polaris Mechanic....i sure do wish there was a way to make it work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts