Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market to add a 2500 or 3000 lb winch and bumper to my 06 Polaris Sportsman 500. There are many manufactureres out there and I need a little help deciding which one. I want to make a quality purchase but I don't want to spend money just to buy a name brand. A synthetic cable is a requirement from what I have read. The winches I have looked at include Warn, Superwinch, Ramsey, Promark, and Polaris. Also I want to install a quality protective steel front and rear bumper. I have seen Polaris, Promark, and Moose. If someone could take the time to point me in the right direction on both of these purchases I would really appreciate it. Also advice on who to buy from would help too.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
on the winches, i know nothing about ramsey and promark...

i have seen a handful of failed superwinches, just personally wouldnt go down that road. the polaris brand winches seem to be hit or miss, but with experience working at a polaris dealership, i dont think i would get one. however polaris is using to build the winches doesnt quite have it figured out yet.

i would go with warn, yes they are probably the most expensive out of that bunch, but it has the same need as having a good set of jumper cables in your car. you may only need to use it once in your life, but it damn well better work. warn winches IMO have proven they can stand the test of time, and heavy use and abuse.

on the bumpers, again, i dont know anything about promark, i have never delt with them, but i would get the polaris brand here. they are pretty heavy duty, and bolt up nice and clean, although moose as an aftermarket brand is usually pretty good, i dont know how the fitment is.

see first if any dealer is willing to work with you on the pricing, and show them what you can get it online for

·
Registered
369 Posts
Warn XT30 is my Winch of choice. It's a 3000 pound winch with synthetic cable, and wireless remote. It is pretty much the top model for ATVs on the market.

I have had a a couple Ramsey winchs in the past, and they were a good quality product as well. I think they were the first to offer an ATV winch with a wireless remote.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The XT30 is the one that I have been looking at but the $$$ is slowing me down on the order. In your opinion will the 3000lb Warn winch out perform the 2500lb to make that much difference in cost. They are both expensive but the XT30 is over $500. I could save a little and go with either the XT25 or the RT30. I have a Sportsman 500 and do you think the synthetic cable is that important. In my mind it seems like it would be considering it would be much easier to handle. I also have always heard that if you double the pull cable you actually increase the winch power 2 times from what it is rated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Watch Rocky mountains website for Specials. They sell them @ 509.00 but if you catch them when they have there 500.00 get a 100.00 gift card promo, you get it for about 400.00 bucks. Last year I bought 1 from ATV outfiters and one from RMATV, and it was when they had there 70.00 WARN rebate promotion going on as well. I think I have about an average of 350.00ea in them.

Last month they had the 100.00 deal. But this month it looks like you would earn 50.00 bonus cash. So it would be around 450 right now. If you are patient the 100 dollar deal will be back soon, It seems like they run the promo every couple months.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/frequentBuyer.do

·
Registered
369 Posts
Also I ran accross some cool looking Moose Bumpers today.
http://www.procycledepot.com/MOOSE_UTILITY_ATV_FRONT_BUMPERS-8-10375-91285.html

There was a guy on another forum that posted these pics of the Moose bumpers mounted on his XP.

The talk was that the guy that had bough these bumpers were paying around 300-350 for the pair (front and rear). Sounded like a good price and they do look pretty stout, and to me, I like the style better then the some of the other non Polaris bumpers out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
ATVGURU products that I hear are exceptional well, very well made! He has his own custom fab business and I think it is the same thread cc1999 is referring too, lol..lol
Are we allowed to say? hhaha

R'

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the heads up. I really really appreciate it and I will add them to my favorites to use for parts. Will also hold tight for the additional discount hopefully here in a few weeks,

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I couldn't wait and bought my new Warn MT30 winch today. The MT30 is a new model that has the synthetic rope but doesn't have the wireless remote. This one came with a wired remote and free shipping in the lower 48. I saw some others MT30's on ebay that were more expensive and didn't come with a remote at all. I appreciate all the help with my purchase and thank you. Allterrainonline.com was very helpful and has a good selection of parts if you are looking for ATV/UTV accessories.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
you may have to do some type of modifying to the bumper(another fairlead) as it might get in the way when you are winching

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I got polaris bumbers on all mine rides and no mods needed for winching.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have been pleased with my Polaris bumpers and Polaris 3500 winch. I have used the winch numerous times with no issues. I wish the bumper was a one peice design instead of the bolt on wings are not that bad. I will probally end up welding it together this summer and getting the whole bumper sprayed with line-X

I don't like the stock winch synthetic cable so I upgraded to some Amsteel Blue and I have happy since making that change.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a Polaris bumper and the Polaris 3500 winch on my 2009 XP, and I went with the same Polaris Bumper on my 2010 XP, but I was not all that impressed with the quality of the Poalris winch, so I went back to a Waren XT30 for my 2010 XP. My Polaris Winch has not failed, but there is a noticable difference in the genneral quality of the 2. I don't use my winchs all that often, so it was not that big a deal, but for the money difference I went back to using Waren's.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Warn winches is the way to go,and as far as bumpers,Id also have to say stick with the Polaris bumpers,just and FYI,I tried a moose rear bumper and the fitement was far off and a nitemare to even try to install it,I can only comment on the rear bumper itsself,as far as easy and a clean fit ID have to say the Polaris bumpers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts