Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
A minimum of a 2500 pound, maximum of 3500 pound. Superwinch, Warn, Runva, viper, take your pic.

Get one with a synthetic rope too.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the rated pull force should be a minimum of 2x the weight of the vehicle rider and gear. so 2500 lbs minimum. 3500 to be safe.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
you want at least a 3500lb one if you are riding in the mud. I have found that when they get stuck in a hole and its all clay and gumbo like crap, that nothing helps more than more power. The machines weigh 800 lbs plus the weight of the mud and the water plus the friction of the pull up out of the hole. Not much price difference for the extra pull.

Yes you can you a pulley block but that although effective tends to be a pain and shortens you rope and doubles your pull time.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Suction is a beast. ever lost a boot in the mud? imagine that multiplied by about 100 to get the surface area of the ATV then add the weight of the machine. Easily takes the weight and triples it or more. throw in the fact that the pull is rated for flat level rolling resistance and than pull it up out of a hole over a rock and a log and through the mud and water and yeah. it adds up quick.

·
Premium Member
10,580 Posts
Warn winches are the best. Ur going to pay for it though. There are four product lines. From good to best is: vantage, rt, xt, and pro vantage. A 2000-3500lb puller will do u. When u get into the 4000lb and up club fitment can become an issue. My winch is a warn kit sold through pure polaris. I added the synthetic rope and aluminum fairlead.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Superwinch Terra 35 with synthetic rope. Certified waterproof and works great. Doesnt draw as much from the battery as my viper max did. 3500lbs min...800lb quad stuck in mud and or ditch, etc, you need all the pulling power you can get. There have been times my 3500 has not gotten me out without a snatch block (you can use one to multiply the pulling power). I would buy another SuperWinch in an instant if mine got stolen or such

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Also, the rated pulling power is with all the rope off the drum..the more rope on the drum, the less pulling power you actually have (hence 3500lbs min for an 800lb quad)

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Use a snatch block if you can since it will effectively double pulling capacity. I try to when I can since I figure it can't hurt the long term reliability of my WARN which is going on 10 years without issue (aside from a bad contactor)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am thrilled

with my winch from HF. Kevlar rope and it's never let me down.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
Warn may be known to be the "best" but you pay WAY to much for a name, and not that much better tech. you can get a winch that will last just as long and cost 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Warn may be known to be the "best" but you pay WAY to much for a name, and not that much better tech. you can get a winch that will last just as long and cost 1/2 the price.
We are paying for their massive advertising campaign. My next winch will either he a Superwinch or a Runva.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
I use my winch quite often, and have never had any problems when I wished I had spent more money for a larger winch. 2,500 lb has always been plenty for me. If on a rare occasion it isn't enough pull, just use your snatch block. Save the money you would spend on a larger winch, and use the money for a quality unit.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wife has the Polaris 2500, I guess it's a Warn, haven't used it yet. I have a HF Badland 3000, it's been great so far. Used it about 4 times, once to help pull a Ford F350 away from a deck it slid into on ice, strapped my ATV to a tree and between the truck and the winch pulled it right up the hill. I paid $120 including a two year no questions asked replacement warranty. I would only get the 3000lb Badland winch, I've been told the smaller ones aren't waterproof and fail quite often.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Wife has the Polaris 2500, I guess it's a Warn, haven't used it yet. I have a HF Badland 3000, it's been great so far. Used it about 4 times, once to help pull a Ford F350 away from a deck it slid into on ice, strapped my ATV to a tree and between the truck and the winch pulled it right up the hill. I paid $120 including a two year no questions asked replacement warranty. I would only get the 3000lb Badland winch, I've been told the smaller ones aren't waterproof and fail quite often.
If it is a new atv, the Polaris winch is a China built unit. Let us know how it performs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
If it is a new atv, the Polaris winch is a China built unit. Let us know how it performs.[/QUOTE]

I have three of the Polaris Winches. They are actually very well built except for one small, easily fixed issue. They are all metal inside and quite robust. The weak point is the free spool knob. If there is tension on the cable and you try and force it to a free wheel mode then you will break the two plastic tabs. Once broken it is very easy to fix with a few small screws and a bit of epoxy. The fix has been posted on the board here.

No issues since fixed and I will take credit for forcing the knob in the first place.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
The 2500 lb Polaris winch on my wife's 500 is a china built unit. I bought it in early 2008 for my X2. It has not given me any trouble at all. It get's most of it's work now with the snow plow, but while I had my X2, it did it all. Snow plow, extracting me from places I thought I could go, as well as helping others who thought the same. My wife seems to have a little better thought processer, so it doesn't get near as much work out on the trail as it used to.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I bought the Polaris 3500 lb. winch when I bought my new Sportsman. I had an underpowered 2000 Superwinch on my Foreman 450 with 27"s that always bogged down when I got stuck in deep mud or snow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a HF Badland 3000, it's been great so far. I would only get the 3000lb Badland winch, I've been told the smaller ones aren't waterproof and fail quite often.
I second both these statements. I put the Badlands on my 400 and never looked back. I did get the 2 year warranty also.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
bought the polairs 2500lb unit when I bought my 850 touring in 2010.. Almost 4 years later its never let me down and the touring is pretty much the heaviest atv in the league..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts